What do you think about Rotosound flats.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TSanders, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Thinking about throwing a set on my StingRay. Do you like them? What flats are better/worse? What would you recommend?
  2. the dr

the dr

Dec 13, 2004
    I found Roto flats to not be as smooth as some of the other brands. Also, they are quiet stings, I think due to the monel material they are made with. They are zingier than other flats I've tried (Labella, TI, Chromes, Fenders), which has its uses, but I just didn't like there lower output. I had Chromes on the bass while I was switching, and they seemed 50% louder (not that I actually quantified). On your stingray, I'd recommend Chromes. Chromes are similar in tension to roundwounds of the same gauge.
  3. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I like Rotosounds RS77's. Something about the feel and the sound. So far I've only played the RS77's, the SH77's (Steve Harris sig. = heavier gauge) and Fender Stainless Flats. The Fenders have a more muffled tone. Once I got used to the RS's, there was no going back. I've considered putting them on all of my basses, but I'll keep at least one with rounds.
  4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Much more treble, than TI-flats.
    Nice string for jazz bass.
  5. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I tried to like them but didn't. I found them to have lower output relative to other flats. They were nice and taut (which I like), but had less lows and low mids, less grunt and a more singing quality than I like in a flat. Lots of highs. I much prefer Chromes or Fender flats.