Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think about Rotosound flats.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TSanders, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Thinking about throwing a set on my StingRay. Do you like them? What flats are better/worse? What would you recommend?

2. the dr

the dr

Dec 13, 2004
    NC
    I found Roto flats to not be as smooth as some of the other brands. Also, they are quiet stings, I think due to the monel material they are made with. They are zingier than other flats I've tried (Labella, TI, Chromes, Fenders), which has its uses, but I just didn't like there lower output. I had Chromes on the bass while I was switching, and they seemed 50% louder (not that I actually quantified). On your stingray, I'd recommend Chromes. Chromes are similar in tension to roundwounds of the same gauge.

3. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I like Rotosounds RS77's. Something about the feel and the sound. So far I've only played the RS77's, the SH77's (Steve Harris sig. = heavier gauge) and Fender Stainless Flats. The Fenders have a more muffled tone. Once I got used to the RS's, there was no going back. I've considered putting them on all of my basses, but I'll keep at least one with rounds.

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Much more treble, than TI-flats.
    Nice string for jazz bass.

5. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I tried to like them but didn't. I found them to have lower output relative to other flats. They were nice and taut (which I like), but had less lows and low mids, less grunt and a more singing quality than I like in a flat. Lots of highs. I much prefer Chromes or Fender flats.