Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think about the Behringer Bass-V-Amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lazyman, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Hi guys,

do somebody use the Bass-V-Amp?
    How does it sound?
    I'e heard, that if you change presets, you have 1 second silence. Is that true?
    For which songs do you use it?
    What are your favourite effects?
    Thank you for your answers!!!

2. The English publication "Bass Guitar Magazine" have a review of the V-Amp in their current issue if you can get hold of it. They rated it at 83% overall and reckon the sounds are pretty good.... with a bit of tweaking you can get some great sounds out of it and it also has an excellent compressor according to them. They didn't like the cheap plastic case and knobs but still gave it 20 out of 20 for value.

3. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I've had one for about a year. There are definitely some good sounds in there, if you have time to do some tweaking. The compressor is definitely one of it's strongest suits. As for switching between presets--it can be done; the delay isn't much (do it between bars and you should be fine). However, I'd say that this thing is much more oriented towards recording than live work. The effects are somewhat hit and miss. For the money, it's a great unit for recording, but for playing live I would recommend something else.

4. And what would you recommend for live-playing?

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have no experience with this unit in particular, but I have had experience with other Beheringer's equipment and am not a fan.

Be careful- sometimes you get what you pay for.

Ted

6. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I don't know. For playing live I get everything I need out of my amp, my bass, and my hands. I lot of people really recommend the Boss multi-effect floor units, so you might want to check those out--I don't know if they do amp modeling or not.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I haven't tried a Bass Vamp, but have owned a Vamp2 and presently own a Vamp Pro.

I've considered a Bass Vamp Pro but am not too impressed with the lack of amp models...they load 2/3 of the models as guitar amp and keyboard amp models...what's up with that???

The other gripe with the rack mount Vamps is that the only footswitch available is the MIDI foot controller...another $150. I bought one, but haven't found the motivation to set it up yet... The Vamp2 and Bass Vamp have a simple two button footswitch.

Musicians Friend just dropped their prices on both units...and they have a 45 day return policy (IIRC) for you to try it out.

8. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
  9. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Yeah, it's good for recording work. It's just not designed for live situations, though.

10. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Is it usable just as a preamp live? Thanx!

ANDRUCA

11. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    The short answer is yes.

If you just want to find one setting you like and use it all gig long, it'll work great, and I would recommend it for that. The problem is with switching presets; it takes a lot of tinkering to match output levels, etc. It's doable, however. If you do a *lot* of switching, I'd probably recommend something else, but if you just want, say, two different sounds for different songs, that is well within the V-amp's capabilities.

12. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanx so much for your help, but I feel like abusing your kindness today so I'm PMing you with just a couple of questions. Thanks again!

ANDRUCA

13. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I had one for a bit to use in my home studio.

Like all of Behringer's electronic equipment, the user interface totally blows.

It has some nice sounds in it, but I didn't want to go through the trouble to figure out their Bass-Ackwards controls to dig in deep enough to really tweak it.

And the case and knobs are REALLY cheesy.

I used to sell Behringer gear for a living, and I sold a ton of it - to both bargain hunters AND pro studio guys. The studio cats consider it to be the Bic of the music industry; does the job suitably in most cases, but if it breaks you won't cry too much 'cuz you didn't have too much into it. However, if you're a Zippo man, you're gonna be disappointed in its quality, longevity, and user interface.

I sold mine and went back to my trusty ADA MB1. I can get all the sounds I want out of it anway, and with the new tubes I just put in, it RAWKS.

14. i think its a great little unit...its cheap unit so you cant really afford not to have it..i trie dit and i sat there for at least an hour messing around with it...its incredibly versatile, id buy the midi pedal board if you were switching all the time, but i just used the motown setting the most when i tried it....id use it live...although id mostly bypass the pre and just use my heads preamp and just use it for modelling and effects most of the time...its really good for the people who dont wanna, or cant afford to fork out for the line6

theres a shop down here that sell it and a behringer power amp together for $1000 aus....nice deal....

15. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Andruca - PM back at ya.

Quoted for posterity.

16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    A buddy of mine has a studio built around Behringer stuff (it's the only way he could afford it). We were having trouble at first with blowing-up quad compressors (like four of them in a few months). It seemed to be power-supply related, so we started to always turn them on one-at-a-time with their respective power switches instead of powering'em up all at once with the power supply box. Haven't had one fail in over a year now. I wouldn't trust moving them around too much though. They really have a great sound; compressors, preamps, denoiser, mixer (the effects built into the board are hissy/noisy). Can't complain about the sound overall (especially at $25 per channel on the compressors!), but they're pretty junky reliability-wise; I've heard this from many people also.

I doubt I'd want my AMP to be a behringer, however good it sounds - I'd be afraid of it going out at any second.

Joe

17. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I had one of the bean ones a while ago that I used for a headphone amp and into the PA occasionally. I liked a couple of the amp models. The effects were OK, nothing special. For the months I had it it was reliable enough (no problems).

I bit the bullet and ordered a rackmount version earlier in the week. It's going to let me simplify in that I'll get preamp, tuner and effects (I don't use them much so the V-amps are more than adequate for my needs) in 2 rack spaces. I'll find out how well it does but I'll probably just use one or two amp models and what I can control from the front panel (I don't currently plan to get the midi pedal). It will reduce the number of pieces of gear I haul around (just a rack instead of rack and pedalboard or rack, tuner and AB switch for muting) but increase the size of the rack.

Time will tell if it sounds good enough, works reliably enough and the big rack doesn't tick me off (at which point if I like it I'll split into two smaller racks).