What do you think about the Fender Standar Jazz??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by antar8x, Feb 24, 2005.

1. What is the experience that you have with this bass.. I´m a begginer.... with a rock band!
  2. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Its a great all around bass besides the p-bass. Its a less costly bass with a good tone that cuts through the mix.
  3. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    that's all good and well, but i think he was asking about the MIM jazz bass... ;)

as for the bass the original poster asked about, it's a great bass for someone of your skill level. however, the quality varies greatly from bass to bass of this model, so play the one you plan on buying BEFORE you buy it, and give it a good look-over.
  4. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    I played mine for about 20 minutes and looked it over really good before I bought it. Theyre all different though , I got a good one though. I played one the other day that had alot of dead spots so I got lucky.
    you'll really wanna check the neck and bridge, those are the two places Ive found the most problems in poorly manufactured jazz basses
  5. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! ok i see now, i could not see what he fully ment because i cannot see pics, or anyhting else on my computer! I just kinda generally thought well..... never mind! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :oops: i'll go hide now! :p
  6. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    My thought is that they (or all the ones that I've played anyways) are not superior to the SX basses. Theres just something missing in all of the ones that I played...
  7. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I owned one for about a year. Great bass but as others have pointed out, watch out for deadspots on the necks. My biggest gripe was the pickups. There were noisy as hell with alot of buzz going on......... Then again, what do you want for 225 or so.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I use the fretless version of the MIM (Made in Mexico) Fender Standard Jazz Bass and it's a great bass, but a good instrument is a dime a dozen with Mexican Fenders. I estimate that a good MIM Fender is about 1/15 or so. Just play a bunch 'til you get one that feels right.

Otherwise, great instruments. But check them out used, they tend to lose about 30-50% of their value after a few days off the shelf. You can get a much better deal. Just might want to consider a model made AFTER 2001.
  9. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I like my MIM fretless jazz well enough. Doesn't have any mwah at all, so I play two or three inches up on the neck, and I get this incredibly deep uprightish tone. I don't like the pickups, but don't have the money to get new ones and have them installed. Apparently every jazz bass is a little different in the routing and the pickup size, so in replacing pups you may need to get real work done on the bass. :(

Between a jazz and a precision in a rock setting, I'd go with precision. And SX may be an interesting alternative brand to look at.
  10. As Matt said, play the bass before you buy. I picked a few off the shelf and played them all to compare the sound and construction before I bought mine.

11. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    They are very good basses. Get one, take it apart, put it back together, learn how it works, learn how to set it up properly, and the variables in finding a "good" one people are always talking about drastically drops.
  12. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I think that all of the ones I've played are subpar to my SX - but thats just me.
  13. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I got my MIM jazz over 5 years ago. Best bass for the money. I still use it today, once you know how to adjust and set it up properly, its as good as anything else. I would recommend some modifications (thats the beauty of it). It doesn't have a high resell value, so you might as well have some fun with it. I put a Leo Quan bad ass bridge on it and it made a huge difference. Better sustain and tone.
  14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it two bridge pickups? Dimarzio makes sets for MIM Jazz basses that contain two bridge pickups.

Oh, and I believe neck pickups are harder to sell.