Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do you think about the mtd heir(and basscentral)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, Nov 27, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i went to bass central looking to play a kingston. but grasshopper had me play a heir.
    i can only say WOW!!!!
    i can't belive how it sounded!! it was awsome!!
    the asymetrical(spelling?) neck felt even better.
    it had that really low growly and then the more treble sound for those MM guys.
    the fit and finish was perfect!!! the top looked awsome!
    and Gard is awsome to talk to also. what a great crew they have.
    I think i have to put the Heir on layaway.
    I think i am going to save all the money from my birthday. Dec 21st. and christmas to put money down on this bass. WOW!!!
    i think i would sell my MIA jazz for this thing!
    well maybe not, but still really nice!!!!
    i played it through a swr redhead amp. and i have played other basses through these amps i didn't like the sound.
    i am have to bring my rig up there to test it out and see how it sounds with my amp.
    i can't imagining it sounding bad!!

so thanks!

are there any happy MTD Heir owners or very happy Bass Central people out there?

steve

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  3. I have an MTD Heir 5, and I love it to death. Mine has an Aguilar 2-band preamp in it, too, so that makes it sound even better. I highly recommend the Heir. I've never dealt with bass central, though, so I can't help you there.

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I owned a single pu Kingston 5 for a bit and it was a great bass at any price. Nice B, powerful passive electronics, low action and the fret work was decent (not stellar but decent). Never dealt with BC.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey Steve!

Thanks for the kind words...I almost felt like I was ignorin' ya, we got BURIED right when you got there, I couldn't keep up with everyone and the phones!!! :eek:

We had three TBer's in the store at one time today! You, RAM, and a dude named Kevin that's a "lurker" (can't remember his handle, but he's from the DC area, and he's a pretty damn good player too! :D).

The Heir is a great bass, I don't think you can go wrong with it for the money! :)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll give a thumbs up to Bass Central. I ordered my wife's Lakland 55-01 from them and the customer service was #1! Great guys and a great place to do business with.

As far as the Heir, I have never had the pleasure of playing one. I have played an MTD Kingston 5, and it is the best under $600 5 string that I have ever played.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i tried to reply but it wouldn't let me.
    i was up a basscentral for 3 or 4 hours on sat. and i was up there twice on fri. had alot of fun.
    met some people.
    i met RAM he was there for 5 or 6 hours. very nice guy.

steve

8. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Mopar, I got a four string Heir from BC back in March. I saw it on the internet and dealt with Beaver over the phone. Basscentral was great to deal with.

I'm extremely happy with the bass. IMO it's easily comparable to basses in the $1,000 range. The bass is outstanding. I like the fact that it's passive. You don't really have to mess with the onboard EQ to get good tones. Just plug in and play. It is solid, well made, good looking, great sound, great natural slap tones.

My only gripe was the J pickup is single coil. I replaced it with a Bartolini. Still it's a player.

Tom