1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you think about the Music Man Ray34?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aaronhutson, May 19, 2011.

1. I read the threads about these but couldnt find a good answer for what im looking for.

How does it play and whats the tone like on it?

I play metal and praise and worship. I realize that it may not be ideal for metal. But how would it sound for P&W? Or even a more modern rock?

I play my peavey Millenium for it mostly right now and it has very hot passive pickups with a very warm and versatile sound.

Would the Ray34 compare? How so?

What would you think about putting different tuning knobs on it? Im not a fan of the big flat ones..

Any input would be great!

2. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Apples and oranges, the two basses that are comparing sound quite different.

3. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
  4. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    You can still buy a 2 band Ray and they sound very, very good. Not the same as a pre-EB but very good nonetheless. I played a LakeTahoe blue one at GC a couple weeks ago and it was awesome. They would not come off the price though so it went back on the wall.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    It's not an EBMM.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yep. Just to clarify, these are not made by Ernie Ball, they are made by a seperate company (in Indonesia?) who licenses the EBMM designs.

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I had one (which I now wish I hadn't of sold) that was absolutely fantastic. They sound just as great as US StingRays and they're very playable. They do feel 'cheaper' than US Rays, but by cheaper I mean they feel just as good as any other $500-$700 bass in comparison to a US Ray. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

8. Well thanks guys. That helps.

But what kind of tone does it put out? Videos i saw showed a very trebley sound. But i need a warmer more full sound. Would this one work? How can it handle metal?

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    It just sounds just like a US StingRay. There's really no other way to put it. Just Youtube videos of either bass and you'll get a good idea of how they sound.

They are traditionally more hi-fi and trebly, but you can mellow them out through EQ, strings, how you pluck it, etc....

10. SantiagoGT15

SantiagoGT15

Jun 22, 2010
    Praise & Worship Group Leader/Director
    I own a ray34 on cherryburst and I just can't get enough of it ,it's a great bass it's 99% EBMM
    I use it for P&W and it does well to my soul!

can't say enough , go play one for yourself and see... and about those classic new ones ..im craving for a mint one :D delicious mint :D

11. Im really digging the new limited edition white with black pick guard!

12. Oh and by the way, im looking at the ray34 custom. Not the ray34 classic.Any input?

13. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
  14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I tried a Ray 34 last weekend at GC and compared it to the Stealth Stingray and regular Stingray they had hanging near it. The Ray 34 was not-so-good by comparison.

15. How does it handle drop tuning?

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I had a Sterling SB14 for a while. Was a pretty awesome bass for the price point. Didn't sound as good as my Spector but still incredible for the cash. Can't imagine the SR being any different.

17. SantiagoGT15

SantiagoGT15

Jun 22, 2010
    Praise & Worship Group Leader/Director
    I have only de-tuned to DGCF and it held nice, I don't have the need to go further down (or up) or whatever :smug: