What do you think about the new Live Aid DVD?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by zack01, Jan 3, 2005.

1. zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    There some great people on it...but where is led ....?
  2. My thoughts exactly?

"I used to think some of these bands were cool..."

The Zeppelin "reunion" sucked. Bad. Page was plowed- I might have it on videotape somewhere at my folks' house- but I remember it being very bad and out of tune. So it's sort of like the Grateful Dead at Woodstock- it sucked so much they fought for it NOT to be on any film or record.
  3. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I got this set for Christmas. I was born in 1981, so was too young to be listening to many of these acts when they were around. I haven't watched through all of it yet, but I liked Queen, The Beach Boys, Neil Young, David Bowie, and even Spandau Ballet. :eek:

It seems a decent package and it's for a good cause, so buy it!

Re Led Zep - both they and Santana refused permission to be included in the DVD, citing lack of satisfaction with the quality of their performances. Page & Plant are donating proceeds from their 'Unledded' DVD and JPJ is giving proceeds from his recent tour.
  4. I watched a lot of it at bassmonkeee's place on New Year's Eve. It was pretty cool. I was 18 when Live Aid happened, so I remember seeing it on TV, but I wasn't playing bass at the time. So, this time, I was paying attention to all the bass players and their basses. John Taylor had a white Kubicki, the dude from Spandau Ballet (I think) was playing a Wal, and Paul Denman with Sade had his Music Man strapped on so high, he could practically hit the E string with his chin!
    Overall, I'd say it was fun to watch.
  5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I was there. Led Zepplin did hug a root, but in their defense there were no monitors. The sound was not that great until late in the day when Eric Clapton came on. The funniest thing was the Power Station came on, but without Robert Palmer. There was a lot of grumbling and some boos.
  6. I remember planting myself in front of the television just WAITING (a very long time) for the Zeppelin "reunion." I remember seeing the footage of Plant and Page backstage still unsure how they were going to do it and referring to the "kids from Aerosmith" helping them out.
  7. zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    But what did Dylan, Ron Wood and Keith Richards do?

I have heard rumours that they were drunk when the entered the stage.........Richards seems to be in another world.

And right in the middle of the song Wood and Dylan changes guitarrs...
  8. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Page and Plant's intent was to cut John Paul Jones out of the reunion and use Charlie Jones (the bassist in the Robert Plant band).

Needless to say JPJ was not amused by this stunt and Robert Plant was not amused by JPJ's insistence (legal or otherwise) that he be included.

I got this info was from a press release by JPJ in 2000 or 2001.

After the Page/Plant slap in the face to Jonsey, one would question how long the animosity has existed and what the cause was.

The Live Aid stunt by Page/Plant is in my opinion, Page and Plant using ostensibly using altruism of giving to Live Aid to establish a precedent that Page/Plant could operate under the brand equity of Led Zeppelin without JPJ.

I'm not aware of any feuding within the Zep camp before LiveAid.

Any other opinions?
  9. Don't know of any documented problems, but one has to wonder how much input Jimmy Page had into both In Through The Out Door and Coda- at a time when he was strung out on heroin. ITTOD shows a lot of JPJ's influence, whether Jimmy resented it, or JPJ let him know how much he covered Jimmy's azz, or just a matter of guys not getting along after being in close proximity for the better part of 20 years, or Jimmy and Robert not wanting to part with the lion's share of any money generated, or...
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I also got this for Xmas.
    It's "OK"...not as 'good' as I remembered, that's for sure.
    (Definitely not in the same league as The Monterey Pop DVD set or the recent Electric Miles/Isle Of Wight DVD).
  11. does the Duran duran footage include the infamous performance of "view to a kill" with LeBon's voice cracking on "the fatal kiss, is all we neeeeeeed"?

the BBC repeated bits of live Aid a few years ago-
    inc. the Zep performance of Whole lotta love- JPJ was playing an Ibanez roadstar (P-bass style), and Phil Collins and Tony Thompson were both on drums. pretty poor stuff, really.

check out Yes' Chris Squire's comments about Zep in the current Bass Guitar Magazine (UK)-
    he says JPJ WAS Zep......