Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do you think about the OLP Spector copies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rx jr., Jul 23, 2004.

1. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    I love the feelings on these basses. they're cheap (around $350?) and the neck and the body feels really comfortable. anybody have any experiences with these basses? I'm looking forward to getting my first bass and I still haven't made up my mind whther I should get a widely spaced 5 or a 4. I play lots of metal, rock, and fingerstyle, and I like to fool around with slap techniques a lot. I don't own a bass yet, I'm a guitarist and I play bass at local shops so I'm not a n00b when it comes to playing.

thanks a lot. any suggestions are welcome.

ilovenofrets likes this.
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I wouldn't pay $350 for an OLP Spector copy!! You can get a Spector Performer for that or around that!

3. vcat

vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    For $350 you can get Spector Pro Q4 - at least some Guitar Centers are blowing them off at these prices. It is due to the arrival of the new Legend models. I'd say go for the real Spector instead of the copy. You can never go wrong with them. BTW don't forget that Sam Ash will match the price if you don't have any GC's within the reasonable distance. And yes, I bought one of these Spectors last week - they are lovely! :bassist:

VK

4. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Pass on the copy. I think they're a jolopy. I heard they play real sloppy. The action is real choppy. The pickups are real poppy. I think they're real croppy. :meh:

5. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    nice rhyme :D

I checked the price again, and it's $280 for the metallic blue color, and $315 for a transparent finish. on ebay, they go for about $220, new.

any other comments or suggestions are welcome. I think they play real nice for such an inexpensive instrument :)

6. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    As others have said, go with the real thing (Spector) at the crazy knockout prices they are posting for end of line stocks.... :bassist:

7. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    i dunno. are spectors good for slapping? does it have that "clank" when you slap or does it just go "thud"? I play lots of metal and plan to slap for riffs. I don't really play with picks. it's either fingerstyle or my thumb. when I played some OLP Spector copies, they were pretty damn slappable at the price... I don't recall anyone that slaps with a spector though. prove me wrong.

8. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Doug Wimbish :D :bassist:

I don't recall anyone slapping an OLP... :meh: ;)

9. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    but it's still slappable. i don't know if spectors are because I haven't tried any (damn hawaii).

10. vcat

vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    You can find quite a few spector slap clips online. For examlpe Spector website, etc. As you might have already noticed, most of the people here on TB will advise you to go for real spector, because here they are very highly thought of (use the search function). HOWEVER, first of all it is not very advisable to buy a bass without trying it first. Secondly, you if you've found "the" sound and "the" playability of the instrument in that OLP copy - who cares what is written on a headstock. It looks like you really want to get that base - so just go ahead. After all you'll play it, not TB'ers.

VK