1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you think about this L-2000

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by trevo_man, Apr 19, 2009.

1. trevo_man

trevo_man

Jul 8, 2008
    So currently I have an L-2000 Tribute (that I absolutely love), but I am looking to upgrade to the full fledged USA L-2000. I found one in the local classifieds, but it seems to have a few problems. The guy says he bought it new in 1998. Although it is only a little over 10 years old, all the chrome (bridge and tuning keys) is tarnished. It all is very cloudy and has little green spots. The pickups are rusted as well.

My question is this; The guy wants only $700 for it... is it worth it? Are those cosmetic flaws a big deal? It just worries me a little. I have a P-bass that I've had for about 11 years and there is not an ounce of tarnish/rust on it.

2. If you have a guitar that you love, why would you replace it? I am assuming that is your plan.

I recently bought a newer, but still used, MIA L2k for $800, in near new condition. So perhaps the price is a bit high. But..... Play it and see what you think. Then decide.

edg

3. Mesa

Mesa

Mar 20, 2008
    Holly Springs NC
    Be patient and a good deal will come your way. I paid $800 here on TB for mine with ash body, honey finish, and jazz neck (all cost extra, with a hard case, to boot). It is in near perfect shape. I see no reason to buy a bass with noticeable rust and signs of neglect for nearly what you should be thinking of paying for one that's in much better shape.
    Of course, if it plays great, and you can live with the condition, make him an offer.

4. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    I don't think you should pay $700 for a used MIA bass that is not in really good shape. On the other hand, oxidation will not effect how it plays...so if you like how it plays and want it...offer him $400. If he comes close to what you want to pay, you'll have a deal. If he doesn't, don't worry. You can find another at that price.

5. trevo_man

trevo_man

Jul 8, 2008
    Its plays well, but the neck is a little chunky for me. Felt more like a stingray. My Tribute has a smaller neck I think. I have some pretty small hands and am more comfortable with a jazz neck. What number neck should I be looking for?

6. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    Look for a #6 or #8. The #8 is stock on ASAT basses and, I think, on JB2s. I don't know whether the #6 comes stock on anything, but you can sometimes find #8s on used L2Ks, since it a common thing for people to order

7. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Any photos of the bass in question?

8. trevo_man

trevo_man

Jul 8, 2008
    Here are the pictures he has posted on the listing.

Attached Files:

9. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    I don't need a bass to be pristine, and it looks OK to me. Little road wear is fine if it brings down the price for a good player.

Still, if the neck on a Stingray seems wide to you, I'd go for a bass with a smaller neck. The L2K stock neck is actually a bit fatter than a Stingray. ASATs, JB2s and recent SB2s (not sure about the old ones) are all stock #8s. The #8s have been bad rapped here lately, but I find the one on my ASAT to be the fastest, most comforatable neck I have ever played--and I don't have small hands.

10. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    That bass is a '92-95 era. The string tree is placed exactly like my '93, which I bought in '97.

$700, I'd hit it.

Neck should be a gnats a$$ narrower than your Tribute but thicker. 1 11/16 should be the nut width. Not 1.5, not 1.75. Very akin to a Stingray neck in feel.

Since you laid hands on it you decide but 'tis a fair price IMO.

Jim