What do you think about this rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6-stringer, Feb 11, 2002.

1. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    After milling it over for a while, I think I've picked out my new rig: Eden navigator preamp >Carvin 1000 watt power amp, SWR goliath III, Genz-Benz 1x15.
    I'm really going to save some $ with the Carvin power amp. The eden preamp is around 1k, and the carvin's $350. $500+ less than the WT-800.
    Anybody have any expierience using Carvin power amps to fire a bass rig?
  2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Im using a carvin dcm1500 to power my rig and it has been great. I would look for a different 15", the benz 15 sounded really boxy to me and very plain. Just my opinion though.
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I'm using a Carvin R600 head, which has the same power section as the DCM 600, to power an Eden D410-XLT. The Carvin is well built, reliable, and sounds good IMO.
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I think you could do better on the Preamp for less.
    I love the BagEnd S15B-D for a 115.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the eden pre is seriously $1k?!?! :eek:

if it is - then yes, there are definitely better pres that that for the $$$. Check out Kern, Demeter, Alembic, SWR, and Aguilar.

as for the carvin - i think that for bass rigs this is THE poweramp. powerful, inexpensive, reliable, clean, and built like a tank (my rack fell last week: totalled my SWR interstellar overdrive, but my carvin is still 100%) i couldn't see any way that any other poweramp could be worth the extra money.

6. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    the benz 15 sounded really boxy to me and very plain. Just my opinion though. [/B][/QUOTE]

I accually allready own a genz 15. I would be running an x-over to it for sub. So, I don't really need super clarity from it. Eden has 1k as list on their pre. I'm guessing I may be able to pick one up for 800 or so. The thing is packed with features.
    variable comp w/ thresh/ ratio, crossover,overdrive,
    parametric eq with seperate boost for each freqencey range, and a sonic maximizer/ enhancer feature. And, the DI is tottally controllabe with seperate bypass for the comp and preamp stages. Looks like a winner. I'll let everyone know how it performs after i take it on a gig.

7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Why not forget the pre and the Carvin amp, and just get a used WT800? There's one on EBay right now. You can usually get 'em for around 8. You'll end up spending less and have a better sounding rig.
  8. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    does any one remember the preamp in last years bassplayer magazine with like 2 tubes and hardly any other parts. It was in the issue about good tone. I would really like to get my hands on one of those. or at least try it out. I sonds like it would be a real winner. (maybe I can find some schematics on the internet and make one for cheep). I think all of eden's equipment is so over priced. but thats My own opinion. if you have a good back, get a bag end 4x10 with a coaxial speaker. they can range just about the whole ear's frequency band
  9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

What?! :confused: :rolleyes:

You think Bag End's are heavy?

:eek: :rolleyes:
  10. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I use an Eden Nav preamp, Carvin DCM2000, and an Eden 410XLT. I love it. Its great, clean, and loud. Definitely go Carvin for power. The only upgrade I see coming on is adding another 4x10. :D
  11. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The Bag End 4x10 are 96 pounds. I would say that's about normal for a 4X10 cab maybe a little lighter than some.
  12. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i'll vouch for the carvin too, i had a R1000 head, which is the same carvin poweramp w/ a preamp built in. I dropped it hard enough to bend the rack ears pretty bad, but the amp still worked great.
    I can't believe that the navigator is actually $1000. That seems really high compared to other preamps... but if it's worth it to you go for it.
  13. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I got the Navigator for like $740 or something. 1000 is way too high, its like retail. Dude, get a better dealer then use your bargaining skills. I love my Navigator, and recently found the sweet spot for EQing. Im so happy. I love this Eden preamp/Eden cab combo. Its the best thing ever!

Hey falsehood, long time no see, hows the band situation goin'? Anything new?
  14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Forget about the SWR stuff. Get the Genz Benz XB2 series cabs.
  15. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    From left field, there's also the Euphonic Audio IAMP-750. 750w into 4 ohms, 1000 into 2. What looks like a killer preamp section, lots of bells and whistles like the Navigator. I think it lists for $1500, so retail would be about the same as the Nav+Carvin. No personal experience with any of their stuff, but I've heard good things.