What do you think about this setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marineman227, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Ok i'm currently forming a band me and a drummer are hooking up and possibly have a guitar player. We are into playing pop punk/indie rock styles. I'm looking at an ampeg B2R Head powering a SWR workingmans 4x10T cab... I would like to keep the total package for amp and cab right around $1000 right now because i'm poor but plan on eventually upgrading or adding on as the band grows if needed. I was just wondering what you guys thought of a setup like that or if there was something better i could do for that amount of money and also do you guys recommend eventually adding a 12 or 15 inch cab for more low end or do you think the 4x10 will put enough out in the range that i will be playing in? Thanks for the help
  2. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    ok a 4x10 would be plenty of low end, unless you are planning on tuning to like drop f or something stupid. Anyway, I think you could have a better set up than that for $1000. I'm not a huge fan of the workingman's series. Maybe try to land some eden gear used, or some ampeg used stuff. Surf ebay. both of those brands would be very loud and work well for what you want. What kind of guitar are you running through it and do you play with a pick or not? My acme 2x10 is super loud and keeps amazing lows. Try one of those on for size if you can. Maybe look into an Eden Metro or SWR superredhead also if you want to do the upgrade route, but arent set on having a stack. I've seen both of those going used for around $700. I personally love tubes, but you wont be able to afford that on your budget.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You can definitely do better than that for $1000. Shop used, and shop used here at TB. For the most part, guys here take real good care of their gear, and you can always get a good history on it before you buy it.

If you want more low end, I would add a 115 to your 410. Alot of dudes praise the benefits of a 210 & 112 rig as well. It doesn't seem like you will need alot of low end for your music style, but if you want to be able to thump people in the chest, you'll need that 115.

You'll hear this over and over.......get a power amp and preamp rig. Since you are already thinking about upgrading down the road, having a power amp and separate preamp will give you lots of options. With those two pieces being separate, you can change one piece at a time.

Just my opinion, and it will prolly differ from someone elses.

4. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    There are a lot of variables to consider but it sounds as if you want to keep this simple. I don't blame you. I love Ampeg so my reply is jaded. The B2R is a nice solid state amp for rock. I've heard one live outside with no PA through a 2x10 and it performed wonderfully. They are around 559.00 new but can be had on EBAY everyday for much less. So if the B2R is what you want, good you can now only worry about what cab. The B2R will operate at either 4 or 8 ohm.(you may already know this) This basically means you can run it at 200 watts through a single 8 ohm cab, at 350 watts through a single 4 ohm cab or at 350 watts through two 8 ohm cabs. Now considering wanting to add another cab later. If your first cab purchased is 4 ohm, you can't add another cab to that set up. 4 ohm is the lowest you can go. So, if another cab is in the future and you don't want to change amps, get a single 8 ohm cab for now. A 4x10 or a 2x12 would both be great choices. Ampeg cabs are awesome but heavy and exspensive.(Avatar and Dr Bass cabs are incredible and affordable) Good luck.....
  5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    If you're into pop punk/indie rock you're probably after that Ampeg SVT-810 tone with a P or J bass. I suggest you get the svt-3 pro with a used svt-810E or svt-610hlf. You'll definitelly achieve that type of tone.
  6. Thanks for the quick replies, you're almost exactly right karrot my bass is the fender p-special which is a crossbreed of the p and j and i can't say that i've ever heard the ampeg 8x10 sound but i definately would like to :hyper: The only problem with buying used here is that shipping on a cab will bend me over. Also i was looking at going through musicians friend and doing those payment plans to help build my credit because i'm still young and don't have any. I will look into those other suggestions though. I have heard alot about power/pre amp setups which i know absolutely nothing about so do you have any ideas for a good setup there? Thanks
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    great advice.
    used here at the forum is a great way to get some cool stuff. Cabinets ship for about 50 bux as long as theyre not huge.
    as far as brands go (drum roll) i would go with a bag end 115 or two, one coax, one plain. these will handle almost anything you throw at am and you won't miss the tens. In the 400 watt range used eden and swr heads go pretty cheep, as well as a bunch of other great heads. For big flexibility i would advocate getting a good poweramp and an ok preamp for now. You can always get a "better" preamp later, and it's more of a hassle to get a more powerful poweramp in the future. FWIW, cheaper preamps like the b-max and rbi are getting a lot of praise here. Match one of those up with a stewart 2.1 or qsc plx series and i think you'll be happy for a long time.
  8. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    If you want a really cheap top end, a qsc rmx1450 is 300 bucks new, and you could find a used sansamp di pedal for around 50-100 bucks. That will make plenty of noise and sound pretty damned good. Later you could look into racking in a proper pre if need be. That leaves you with a lot of dough for a proper cab.

9. A buddy of mine has the same rig. I honestly wasn't expecting it to sound that great. I checked out the band, and thought the bass sounded ok. Then I was invited up to play a few songs, and have to admit that I loved this setup. It was super punchy, and definetly cut through. There was not alot of low end, but with pa support it should be fine. I'm currently testing a Workingman's 410, along with a Goliath III 410...in my opinion the Workingman's is a great cab, definetly underrated.

This rig will work for you if: a. you don't need alot of stage volume. b. don't require super low end. c. have pa support.

Anywho, I recommend trying it out first...only you can decide if it's the right rig for you.