Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Do You Think About this Setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mz91, Jul 22, 2002.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    There is a bass store a long way from where i live that are selling a Ebs hd 250 and a peavey 4*10 Cabinet for $1600. What do you think about that price..And do you think that its worth it....Please drop in any suggestions or comments...thank you...michael

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    You probably ment the HD350. The prices I've seen on the head go for around $1000 new. Depending which 4x10 it is $1600 sounds about right. That rig should sound great!

3. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Personally I would get a less expensive head and a better cab. But I've been known to have bad taste.

4. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    bump...hahahha..hahaha...ahhaha...

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

fatrhino has the same wisdom I've learned; there's not much point to having a wonderful head producing sound through mediocre speakers.

If this is some sort of special, "one-off." deal, it seems good to me. You can always get speakers that measure up to the head after a while.

But, the bottomline is that, ideally, you never compromise on speakers. Otherwise. all you have is a wonderful signal with speakers that can't reproduce the potential.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Good point, rick; to run, say, a Demeter pre and a Crest amp through a Crate 1-10 would be a real waste of money. As would, say, buying a Fodera Imperial to run through a Gorilla practice amp!:eek:

There is a flip side, though, which is that it's often a good idea to have a lot of quality early on in the signal chain. What you don't have in terms of tone at the beginning of the signal chain can't be regained in the later stages. You can limit your subsequent losses, but you can't really get back what you don't have to start with. For an audiophile, the best speakers in the world can't save the sound if the phono cartridge (I show my age here) or the preamp isn't up to snuff.

In practice, it seems it's a balancing act. IMO when you have one part of your signal chain that's *vastly* better than the other parts--whether that vastly better part is the bass, the amp, or the speakers--you're not gonna get *full* benefit from iit, because it will be limited to some extent by the other parts. And I think that's as true of speakers as it is of amps or basses. So in fiscal-efficiency terms, it kinda makes sense to have gear that's all at least within shouting distance of the same level.

Personally, when I get an amp plus cab, I usually try to work it so that one isn't vastly better than the other. However, if I have to choose, I'll usually go with having the *amp* be the better component (as IMO in the original poster's situation). The reason is that I think you can often (not always) get more sonic benefit for your dollar from adding a modest 2nd speaker (say an Aggie 1-12) to a rig with a killer head and a decent 1st cab, as opposed to having a decent head and a killer 1st cab and then having to sell and buy an amp to achieve a significant upgrade from that point.

Just my $0.02; no absolute right or wrong here.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Really, Richard, I think you're right (as usual) about it being a "balance" - IME, it is a balance; neither component should be too junky at the expense of the other.

A Crate head with a Bergantino cab or a Walter Woods head with a Crate cab is just kicking yourself in the ass. It's about balance and not throwing all your dough into either component.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Graphic and exact!:D

As musicians, we have enough people and situations kicking us in the ass; no sense doing it to ourselves any more than we have to!

9. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I played through an EBS Fafner, and I thought it sounded really great. So if the 350 is close, you're in business. Never really liked any Peavey amps or speakers. Of course I haven't tried anything lately.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'd say it's a decent amp and a mediocre cab at an average price.

11. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    are you serious? from what i have heard the ebs hd350 is a killer head....well thats the general feeling i get looking through all the reviews...so are you telling me this head is just...decent...if i am gonna pay a thousand dollars for a 350 watt head..i want it to be a little more than decent...

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Got the cabs I intend to keep. They are probably the hardest to sell off and retain the least value.
    Got the amp that got me the most power I could find.
    Got the pre that satifies my needs that I'll be able to unload and upgrade when I can afford.

13. I sent you a email about another subject
    Big String

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I tried out the HD350 once, though admittedly in a non-gig setting, and for my personal tastes, it's *far* better than "decent." I'd certainly prefer it to any G-K I've played, and any SWR or Ampeg as well. It does have a distinct personality--that is, it's not exactly neutral--but it's a personality I happen to like. I played it through a Bergantino 3-10 cab. Very "live" and Marcus-Miller-like.

Can't really say about the cab, but I will say that Peavey can surprise you sometimes--some of their gear gives you significantly more than you pay for, and it's a rare piece of Peavey gear that doesn't give you at least decent value.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'd take an EA iAmp 350 any day and those can often be found used for much less than a grand. And at that power level, I'd be perfectly satisfied with an SWR Bass 350 or Eden WT400. My experience with the EBS stuff in general (played a few gigs with the heads here and there) is that it's a decent amp. Sorry if that's not superlative enough for ya! ;)