1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you think about this wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by eleonn, Dec 30, 2006.

1. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Today looking ofr a fretboard and a top and I got this from a friend of mine. Not sure about it yet even when I like it pretty much. I could use it as a fretboard or I can get a piece wide enough for a one-piece top.

This particular piece is 60 3/4" x 5 3/8" x 3/4".

The color in the first picture is more close to the real one than in the next pic.

PD: Powerpuff girls bed it is not mine!!!! :bag:

Attached Files:

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    That's Zircote and a pretty popular top and fretboard wood.

3. Jeronimofesto

Jeronimofesto Luthier: JC Basses

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    10-3/4" wide is pretty small for a top. You could easily design a bass to fit that board though. Looks nice, I'm sure you will make a nice bass out of it.

4. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Actually it is not. It's local name is Moena Amarilla (aniba spp.)
    http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/TechSheets/Chudnoff/TropAmerican/html_files/anibas2.html

Ziricote is known here as Laurel (Cordia Dodecandra).

Aniba's properties are a little bit closer to maples than ziricotes.

Aniba reaches 1470 at Janka standard while ziricote 2200.

Well I think that if it looks like ziricote and its properties a like maples I'll get it.

It would be better as a FB or as a top?

5. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    This piece was the one I took but I can get a piece wide enough for a one-piece top. My friend's parents owns a timber business at the Amazonas rain forest.

6. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Lucky. I'm so jealous! Go for a one piece top then, that would be gorgeous. Ebony fretboard with it maybe?

7. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    There is no ebony here :( ...now I'm the jealous one!!

8. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Well something dark then would look really good. Can't you get some ebony shipped there? Any thoughts on a body wood and neck wood if you use that as a top?

9. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Yep ...peruvian walnut for the wings. The neck will be congona/purpleheart/congona/purpleheart/congona with some veneer between each wood. Congona it's a local wood which looks like a pretty light colored maple with mechanical and physical properties close to maples.

I'm thinking for a fb could be Huayruro (Ormosia amazonica)with is another local wood with properties close to wenge's but not sure yet.

10. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    That sounds like it will be a killer bass. I love that fact that what we call exotic, you call local. Makes for cheap wood I suppose. Can't wait to see the progress thread on it.

11. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    It is really cheap. Purpleheart blank costs a little bit less than $3. So far the most "expensive" wood have being the peruvian walnut blank 70" X 8" x 1" costs about $12. I make a mistakes and bought a 1" blank of walnut so now I'm thinking about getting a new one of 2" or just use a top of 1" which would be the top of moena.

Humm ...not sure if I can put those prices in the post but if I can't someone tell me so I can delete them.

12. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Well I know where I am moving to next. Those are some great prices.

13. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    Thats a real nice looking piece of timber it would look pretty sweet as a top on an exposed core neck thur i think

i wish i had better access to exotic's without the massive shipping costs or having to buy 3 or 4 meter boards when i only want 40" or so!

if your not thinking of using it any chance you might consider shipping it out to the UK? Fire me PM if your intrested in selling it on

14. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Seriously, since you live there you should get into the exotic wood business. Start selling it to people in other parts of the world.

15. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Actually I was talking yesterday with my friend about the woods I have seen here and in other sites and the prices I've seen over internet and he suggest me to get into that bussines. There is a HUGE amount of types of woods there. Some of them known only by the people on the rain forest. We should take a trip in a month to see what woods they have in his lumberyard and then I will see if that is what could be usefull for luthiers. I probably post some pics to get some feedback from TB'ers and maybe I will send some example pieces so some people here could give some advice. Still everything is a BIG "maybe" but it everything looks nice in paper.