1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you think about this?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Not4You, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Not4You

Not4You

Apr 6, 2006
  2. chakah

chakah Rockin' the 80's

Feb 2, 2006
    Houston,
    No

3. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I think he's ranting 'cause his kids started listening to rap, and he hates punk.

I love punk.

Music reflects many feelings and perspectives. It should not be limited to what some ranting dude thinks is good. Its all relative.

I think the kids are alright. My son (16) and his friends listen to all kinds of stuff. Houston and ATX rap, blues, old Southern Rock, old hard rock (they practically worship Pink Floyd), old-school metal, Motown...you name it. They mostly hate emo and screamo. My little girl (7) listens to pop, but she sticks to kid pop (Hillary Duff), and she loves Puffi Ami Yumi. So...I turned her on to Shonen Knife, and The GoGo's. She loves garage rock, too, and country, and old Southern rock.

As long as musicians can still use the web to their advantage, and have access to affordable, decent recording equipment, music will continue to evolve, and become more independent. I love that so many people can just put their own stuff out there, with no help from Big Corporate Music! :)

And both my kids know where France is.

Cherie

4. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Glad to hear people know where I am located ;)

5. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Phew... somebody's got his panties in a twist...

I mean, if we want to talk simple songs from before 1980, what about Louie Louie? If we want to talk about complex songs after 1980, let's take a look at progressive/melodic metal. I hate the stuff, can't stand it, but it's still very complex.

I dunno. I think popular music is a reflection on society as a whole - and you can see where we're ready to exploit anything that's making money. Blink 182 came out, a few weeks later we were flooded with Blink clones.

I do believe that the music industry is coming down, and it's really just grasping onto whatever it can for dear life. Internet and cheap recording will overturn the "fame machine"... But ranting about it won't help much.

6. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    We'll be vistin' next weekend. I'm bringin' a cassarole.

LOL!

Cherie ;)

7. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Dead-bang on, sug! DIY music is on the rise like never before. The music industry is desperate. That's probably why there are so many industry pop singers out there who have to be "studioed" in order to sound good, who have to have backing tracks, etc. The ones with actual talent are independent.

Cherie