Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do you think about....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Oct 1, 2005.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    EA CXL112's...I might be gettin two of them to run with my tube head....I want to hear what you like, and don't like about these cabs.... :D

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I dont know about the 112 specifically, but an EA 210 with a EA 800 was the best bass rig i have ever heard, period. It was being A - B'd with about 6 other bass rigs in an open hall. terrific oppty to compare a lot side by side. My hartke / EV stack was left wanting to say the least. the EA sound was full, tight, clear, low, and whatever the bassist dialed in on his bass mattered. The GK/Fender/hartke/swr rigs that were there paled.

granted, i have never heard a schro or a berg, or a gklang, hell, or a few others, but that EA really left an impression on me.

UI remember the new owner screwed around with it and cranked the lows and the volume... it made what we thought was a farting sound, but it turned out to be a SCARY 100-ish Hz rumble. I htink several small children cried. I wet myself.

3. I'm a firm EA guy myself... talk to Tom Bowlus, PM him if he doesn't see this, he may have those cabs, he seems to have each EA cab on the market...

I run a pair of VL-210's, replaced a 4x10 with a 1-18" set and making them sound like crap.

Randy

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Several EA people who've heard the various combinations seem to prefer the cxl-112 together with a nl-210 (one of those "the sum is greater" synergy things).

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    FYI, I'm not ignoring this thread! :p Bassgreaser and I have exchanged private PM's on the topic.

Tom.