What do you Think About...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hookha, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    I want a new set..

4 strings 40\105 45\105
    i think about DR & D'ADDRIO
    i from isreal i want to buy 2 set because is cheap then in isreal
    ok first question- what the diiferent between Nickle & Stainless?
    because in hebrew these is a different meaninig! so i want explain
    what kind of series tou advice my to buy in both company?

and d'addrio...i well happy to know what there good strings sets.

In Short- i want advice to 4 strings set of DR and D'addrio

2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I think they're good - but then again, I don't like it bright. They sound liek somewhat used sounds, and through my SX Jazz, they're really puncy...yeah.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't like them. I've only tried them on acoustic guitar, but my experience soured me to the point of never trying them again on anything. The coating flaked off after a couple weeks, and they sounded like they were a week old from day one.
  4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I didn't care much for the DR strings. They sounded ok, but I didn't think they were worth 35 bucks a set.

D'addario-here is my recent experiences with them.

For the most part, I've used XL round wounds for the better part of 20 years. They sounded great, and lasted a long time.

3 years ago, I decide to try the Chromes again. Hadn't used them since '91, because I didn't have a fretless between 91 and 2002. Ok, i liked them before, and D'addario in general, so I gave it a whirl. These were gonna replace TI jazz flats.
    Had them on 2 days, one began coming apart. MF doesn't take them back, and D'addario never responded. Put the TI's back on.

Go forward 2 years. Decided maybe it was just a fluke thing, I'll try again. The chromes ended up being sweet on my fretless. Put the XL's on my P bass. Good to go at first. When it came time to change, I opened up my new twin pack. Was putting on the G string-it snapped at the tuner, halfway to pitch. Contacted D'addario. Told them How much I loved their strings, could they please send a new string.

After a weeks wait, they tell me I gotta ship then ALL the strings, with the enviromental packaging. Then, they must determine if there even is a problem. Then, they'll send a new string, along with a new set for my trouble.

Well, that would have left me with no spares, and on old string on a new set (I didn't cut the old ones off, so I still had the old G) All the other manufacturers, at least that I'm aware of, would send out a replacement. Who knows how long it would have taken D'addario to replace the strings?

So, I went with Fender again, and I've been happy.

Good luck in the search for a string that you like.
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I'm sorry, I should have mentioned-I told D'addario I've used their strings for a long time, and really liked them. I explained the situation, then asked for a replacement. Sorry for not making that more clear the first time around.