Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you Think About...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hookha, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    I want a new set..

4 strings 40\105 45\105
    i think about DR & D'ADDRIO
    i from isreal i want to buy 2 set because is cheap then in isreal
    ok first question- what the diiferent between Nickle & Stainless?
    because in hebrew these is a different meaninig! so i want explain
    what kind of series tou advice my to buy in both company?

and d'addrio...i well happy to know what there good strings sets.

In Short- i want advice to 4 strings set of DR and D'addrio

THanks!!!

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I think they're good - but then again, I don't like it bright. They sound liek somewhat used sounds, and through my SX Jazz, they're really puncy...yeah.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't like them. I've only tried them on acoustic guitar, but my experience soured me to the point of never trying them again on anything. The coating flaked off after a couple weeks, and they sounded like they were a week old from day one.

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I didn't care much for the DR strings. They sounded ok, but I didn't think they were worth 35 bucks a set.

D'addario-here is my recent experiences with them.

For the most part, I've used XL round wounds for the better part of 20 years. They sounded great, and lasted a long time.

3 years ago, I decide to try the Chromes again. Hadn't used them since '91, because I didn't have a fretless between 91 and 2002. Ok, i liked them before, and D'addario in general, so I gave it a whirl. These were gonna replace TI Jazz Flats.
    Had them on 2 days, one began coming apart. MF doesn't take them back, and D'addario never responded. Put the TI's back on.

Go forward 2 years. Decided maybe it was just a fluke thing, I'll try again. The chromes ended up being sweet on my fretless. Put the XL's on my P bass. Good to go at first. When it came time to change, I opened up my new twin pack. Was putting on the G string-it snapped at the tuner, halfway to pitch. Contacted D'addario. Told them How much I loved their strings, could they please send a new string.

After a weeks wait, they tell me I gotta ship then ALL the strings, with the enviromental packaging. Then, they must determine if there even is a problem. Then, they'll send a new string, along with a new set for my trouble.

Well, that would have left me with no spares, and on old string on a new set (I didn't cut the old ones off, so I still had the old G) All the other manufacturers, at least that I'm aware of, would send out a replacement. Who knows how long it would have taken D'addario to replace the strings?

So, I went with Fender again, and I've been happy.

Good luck in the search for a string that you like.

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I'm sorry, I should have mentioned-I told D'addario I've used their strings for a long time, and really liked them. I explained the situation, then asked for a replacement. Sorry for not making that more clear the first time around.