What do you think? Avatar B210 + ?? amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jusaplaya, Mar 17, 2005.

1. jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I am going up to the next level. I am currently practicing thru a 15W Squier bass amp. I am going to buy an amp and cab in the next couple of weeks. I am considering buying the Avatar B210 Delta and match it with one of the following:
    Ashdown Mag 300H
    Peavey Max 160 or
    GK Backline 175.
    I don't have much money, and these fit my budget. I don't gig yet (maybe one day), I just jam at home. I don't need a monster rig. I mainly play blues and jazz. I am playing a MIM Fender Precision. I appreciate any advice that you can input. :hyper:
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    The B210 is a good cab. Will do fine for what you've described.

But keep in mind - if you do start gigging in the future (near future?), that B210 won't be able to pull off much by itself. If you can stretch the extra $60 or so to get the B212, that cab IS capable of small to medium size gigs all by itself.

So, if you buy the B210, you'll be happy.... but a year or so down the road, if you get deeper into playing, you might wish you'd stretched for the B212.

(BTW, I do have both.... ;) )
  3. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I got a chance to play on an Ashdown Mag 300 a few weeks ago and it's really nice. It was running into an Ampeg 4 x 10 4ohm HLF cab. It sounded great. It was pushing all 300 watts. If you buy the cab through Avatar you get a great deal on the Mag and free shipping.

I think with an 8ohm cab the MAG 300 will be putting out around 175 -200 watts. I would get an 8ohm cab that way if you want you can add another later on to get the full power out of your amp.
  4. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Out of those three, definately go for the Ashdown.

The GK Backline series can only drove an eight ohm load, or else I'd say get one of those.
  5. Stretch for the extra 60 for the 212 if you can, and stick with the Ashdown head. I say go for 4 ohms actually. Headroom is your friend.
  6. Avatar is having a special right now.
    Buy an Avatar Cab and you can buy the Ashdown 300H with it for $278 shipping free. The Ashdown is your best bang for the buck right now. 307 watts R.M.S. output power. You will not have to drive it into distortion that will destroy speakers just to be heard.

I fully agree with the above poster that you will be much happier with the B212 cab for $60 more dollars ($279)
    It has a fuller range of tones, goes much deeper and gets louder.
  7. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Dude.... trust me... get the B212. Even if you have to wait longer, it'll be worth it. If you dont plan on getting anymore cabs in the future, then get it in 4ohms, so that you can draw FULL power from whatever head you get. If you expect to fall on some money soon, then get the 8ohm and another cab in the future.

As for the head... dont touch the Backline. Go with the MAG.
  8. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    get a B212, I got one of those babies and its so amazing.

As for the head, I'd recommend the Ashdown 300H
  9. I disagree. I went the 4 ohm route thinking that would be all I would need. Then I found out the audible difference in wattage between using the 4 and 8 ohm was minimal. Now I have myself stuck if I need to move more air. That is the key...moving more air. My advise, get the 8 ohm 2 x 12 and if you need more volume then go with another 8 ohm cab.
    I now had to buy an 8 ohm speaker to replace my 4 ohm so I could add another cab at some point.
  10. jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the advice. Based on the input, I think I will go for the 2x12 cab and the Ashdown amp. I am looking forward to putting in the order in a couple of weeks for the cab and amp special. I will let you know what I think when they come in.

11. Please do report how you like it.
    I think you will be very happy with this combination.
    Actually I am a bit jealous. I have a B115H and wished now I had gone with the B212 cab. While the 115H gets massive low end it suffers in the mid range area. The 212, I understand, not only does well in this area but in the low end also.
  12. nspbass

Nov 26, 2004
    I've mentioned this many tmies in several other threads, but the MAG 300 + Avatar B212 sounds really great.

13. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    This is very true. But again... it depends on if you wish to upgrade with a new cab or a new head next. A lot of it is based on preference. You could pick up an amp like the Kustom Groovebass and have 800Watts into a 4ohm cab, and then you'd only have to haul one cab around, and you'd still have the potential to go down to 2ohms.

Inversely, if (in the future) you picked up a head that only goes down to 4ohms, you would be strapped, as far as volume goes.

It's really a toss-up as far as what impedance to select.... but since Avatar cabs are so well-priced, maybe an 8ohm cab would fit the bill better in the end.

(Flip-Flop) :ninja: :D
  14. Yes, you are correct
    Depends on needs.
    I just put an 8 ohm JBL in my Avatar in place of the Eminence Kappa Pro LF as I was trying and did get better mids out of it. I still get some good low end (not quite what the Kappa Pro put out) but did loose a slight bit of volume in the process as I went from 350 watts RMS @ 4 ohm to 280 watts RMS @ 8 ohm. If I need more volume, I will get another 8 ohm cab in the future but for now I believe it will be just fine. If my Kappa Pro LF were 8 ohm I would keep it as it is a fine speaker for tremendous low end. You just have to use a horn to get any upper mids out of it.
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have the ashdown mag300h + avatar b212 setup (See sig for pic). It sounds great.
  16. dangjalopy

Nov 8, 2004
    i don't own the avatar cab but i have tried them before and you will need the 212. i plan to buy the 410 myself. as for the head, ASHDOWN all the way. I don't think i will ever switch now. i have played thru ampegs and carvins. the ashdown is handsdown the coolest sounding amp. good luck getting some gigs.
  17. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    I use mine with a PLX1202 and a RBI, but i think out of those, get the ashdown!