Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think causes laziness?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 15, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What comes to mind is indiffrence and a lack of motivation but the causes of that could span the map, what say you?.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Chemical inbalance in the brain.

-Mike

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You know i was just thinking that their could be a biological explanation to it.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I know what you mean. Occassional periods of laziness are one thing, but people who lack motivation, and are constantly lazy have something wrong with their brain functions. I should mention that this is my opinion, but I think alot of doctors agree with me.

-Mike

5. q: "Are you stupid or just apathetic?"
    a: "I don't know, and I don't care."

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Some call me lazy, I call it economy of effort or labor efficiency. Why work harder, when you can work smarter.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Might be chemical, but it might also be (as Joshua aptly pointed out) a lack of good parenting. Depends on the severity of the laziness... something like catatonic schizophrenia is probably a brain disorder. :p

8. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    +1

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

My chemistry teacher talked about this a few times. BTW, he's very intelligent. He said it's natural for our brain to try to economize on energy. He said our brain uses about 20W (joules per second) of energy when we arent doing any mental work, and 30W when we are doing work. Something in our mind doesn't want us to do any mental or physical work so we can economize on energy. But we have the power to override that natural instinct and do work, so it's all good. What makes someone lazy, is someone who thinks like his/her brain's natural instinct and also wants to save that energy. It may sound silly at first, but it's apperently true.

10. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Does laziness have a cause, or is laziness the cause of lots of what is perceived as the "bad stuff" that "happens" to us? IMHO, the antithesis of laziness (let's call it "motivation" for lack of a better term) is what causes the good things in our lives, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. Could the same be said of laziness on the other end of the spectrum? Only my hairdresser knows for sure.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    a HUUUUUUUUUUGE bag of pot..

12. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

that'll do it ...

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Lack of interest.

Philosophers like Marx have suggested that modern work life tends to alienate people, since they don't see the product of their work in front of them at the end of the day. Creating things is important to mankind - probably the reason why God is seen as a creator, too.

14. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    "Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness pays off now."

'nuff said.

:D

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    As someone who can be quite lazy, and has been for a while. I would say, that my laziness stems from thinking too much. I'll exert a ton of mental energy in rationalizing why something isn't worth my time, and then I won't do it.

16. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I'll respond to this post later. I don't feel like it right now.

17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound

I guess if you want to eat it. Add some rolling papers, and that'll do it.

Reminds me of a comedian I heard
    I used to smoke pot, but it made me lazy. I'll ask my stoner friends, what did you do today?
    Their response: we smoked some joints.
    Well that takes like 30 minutes, what did you do with the rest of the time?
    Uh, uh, uh...we rolled em.

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

BULL CRAP! when i smoke i usually very active in eating:)

I personally think its mood we are in... sometimes we are in lazy mood sometimes we want to do something:)

Cheers

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    mmmmmmmmm Pot Pie mmmmmmmm

OK, going to KFC for lunch (the one off Evers, Dave :D )

20. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    If humans didn't want to do less do you think we would've invented things like steam engines, chainsaws and automobiles? ;)