Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think causes Rage?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jul 14, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Some of the psychological literature that i have read suggest the rage is a result of being shamed as a youth and as result their is a constant need to regain control, i think their can be some truth to this. What do you think causes rage in people?.

2. Frustration that the expected is not the result, for me anyway.

Mike

3. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Estrogen.

4. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I think rage is just an exacerbation of the "fight" response, in the "fight or flight" model. Anger is really a response to a threat, perceived or real, physical or emotive.

The body stops digestion and abstract cognitive functioning and other processes not necessary for an immediate fight to the finish, pumps our muscles full of blood, increases our oxygen intake, makes use of all energy available as adenosine triphosphate, and shoots tons of adrenaline and endorphins into the bloodstream. All this serves to make us a juggernaut of potential destruction, and about 10 times badder than we would be in a calm state.

So, if being threatened (or hurt), rage serves a valuable function: it makes us bad-ass. Unfortunately, we're not very reasonable or responsible during this state. Behaviorally, rage works: the function of the set of behaviors making up "rage" is to deal with imminent danger, and it's reinforced positively by being efficient and getting us what we want.

That said, some people seem to fly off the handle into a "rage" at the slightest provocation. Some would say they're wired differently, but i think its behavioral: in the past, behaving in a rage-ful fashion gets the individual instant and desirable consequences (such as "i get my way," or "a threat is removed.") and, having been positively consequated, will be repeated and become more efficient over time.

That's what i think causes rage.

5. +1

Great post.

I thing rage is connected to expectation. Rage against things (or people) you can't change is dangerous.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Or they lack self - control. Very interesting , thank you for sharing. :)

7. Great topic, btw - thanks Major

My own experience with rage in people has resulted in less than positive things.

Sometimes, you cannot control others rage. At least I don't suffer from rage.

8. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    stupidity

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Liberals.

10. It's like deja vu.

Mike

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think somebody here bought a book of questions a few months back. :)

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Jehova's witnesses at the door during football.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    "The Machine"?

15. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    For those, you need a sign like mine:

No Soliciting
    No Witnessing
    No Canvassing
    No Kidding

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Having watched the show "The Dog Whisperer" a few times recently, this issue has been dealt with in dogs. Interesting ideas put forth by the guy running the show.

Despite the fact that he likes the Bucs, I think pigpen is right on with the "behaving in a rage-ful fashion gets the individual instant and desirable consequences" idea. It is all about intimidation, with dogs and humans.

-Mike

17. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    And the effectiveness of given behaviors: behaviors that get people (or animals) what they want (that is, are consequated positively) are repeated. All behaviors depend upon their consequences.

For example, liking the bucs brings me instant glorious bliss when they dominate. 'Cause they do.

18. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    rage for me comes from all sorts of things.

especially ignorance.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Lab monkies!

(There was an image of the 28 Days Later cover, but apparantly they don't want me stealing bandwidth. Pft.)

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I suppose everyone has a snapping point, but the people who have one that is easy to reach probably have some high degree of self-centeredness.