What do you think happened to this fender jazz? Ebay post

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Linas, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
  2. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

ouch...that hurts!!
  3. AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Ohhhh Wow, I really don't know what to say. Even though I just went at my 62 Reissue with a screwdriver & sandpaper, I don't know if I could play that. The neck, headstock and pickups look ok, from the front. It's probably the one, the best sounding bass on earth. :p
  4. steve21

steve21 Banned

5. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I haven't got a clue what happend to it.
    It looks like it may not be fire damage, looks like a new neck, original pick guard, and the neck pup looks like it's bent from anchoring on it, but those would be melted. I think it was stored in a shed of someplace moist and that's fungus damage, w/ maybe some paint to cover it up. JMO.
  6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    See, not everything old is good.
  7. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    "the Guitar s in Great condition for being 41 years old"

That bass horrible condition for any age. haha
    but really, im kinda speachless right now.

8. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    $405 and reserve not met, what does he expect to get for that thing, I take the money and run laughing.
  9. I hate to break it to you guys. but I think this was done intentionally.

I know....WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?????

beats me...but if it is a '64 I don't care how disgusting the body looks, it's definitely worth $405!
  10. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Well, you kinda got a point, the Strats Hendrix set on fire are worth a foutune.
  11. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    If you could make a Wishbass look like you did, not telling what you could do w/ that.:)
  12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Wood fungus.
    Combination of cracked finish, high humidity and decades of time.
  13. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I think it got worked over to make it look cool sometime in the 60's or 70's and sent a question asking the seller about it.

Pretty funky! :meh:
  14. chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Did that thing orbit the sun?
  15. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Refinish folks! I think it is nothing a bit of sandpaper work could not correct. If its real '64 with good neck for this money it is a steal.

EDIT - now that i look at it again, it looks like somebody made some sort of "artwork" :eek: on it with some glue or plastic.. it may mean that the body underneath is intact.
  16. AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Same thought here, I bet I could buff it out! With WEEKS of work I bet you could get that bass to be somewhat respectable appearance wise. As long as the back of the neck doesn't have the same fungal growth. I guess the nitro finish just wore off around the edges, and the fungus started to populate from the moisture. Is that what it really is, a fungal growth?
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I think its something that's been done intentionally...I don't know about the ease of removal, but who knows what the reserve is. Too bad, since fiesta red is a custom color, and a refin would kill the value of what would be a very rare bass.

If it were wood fungus, it would have to have been stored wet, and you can bet that the neck would be shot as would the electronics.
  18. Looks like Alien's are living on that thing...

19. I seriously think thats intentional "decoration"