what do you think is made better? Lakland or Gibson.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magic8161, Jul 23, 2020.

1. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Lakeland Korea or indonesia or gibson USA? out of the 2. they didn't make the gibson very long.

Attached Files:

2. T Bassman

T Bassman

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    I prefer the Lakland basses. Ive really enjoyed the ones Ive owned, even missing some of them today, and never really given the Gibsons Ive sold a second thought honestly. So much depends on your needs as a player, and what you are comfortable expressing yourself with. Different strokes and all
    that...

magic8161 likes this.
  3. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    The Lakland by a country mile. The Gibson sounds alright, but that shoe polish over unsanded wood finish is horrible. I will never figure out how Gibson even calls that a finish.

magic8161 likes this.
  4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I picked one up and the over-sanded marks stood out and scared it right out of my hands
    too bad cos everyone raves about'm despite looks that only a mutha could love

magic8161 likes this.
  5. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    That Gibson looks freakin’ sweet.

MrNylon and WillyWonka like this.
  6. WillyWonka

WillyWonka I "heart" pointy headstocks Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Apples and oranges.

a Fender copy fan probably won’t be looking for dual humbuckers.

the non-grain filled mahogany bodies save a lot of expensive paint and polish, I prefer it over a 20mm thick coat of poly.

I haven’t had any Gibson qc problems myself... real, perceived, or otherwise.

8045FA9C-2EA3-4DF4-8A65-2B12690C32E0.jpeg

ajkula66 likes this.
  7. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Lakland

8. Zoffy

Zoffy

Jun 7, 2020
    Sacramento CA
    I lived in Korea for a number of years and have always been impressed by the quality of most Korean-made instruments (and cars, and electronics). Not quite up to Japanese-made standards, but still quite high in my opinion. I'd go with a Korean made Lakland or PRS any day.

9. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Gibson is capable of making anything from “firewood” to a “masterpiece”. I haven’t encountered anything less than “good” from Lakland.

scuzzy and ajkula66 like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021