Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think is the best bass to buy under $700?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spaff, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Spaff

Spaff

Apr 21, 2003
    Cambridge UK
    Hi i'm a young bassist with a whole lotta passion for playing, can't get enough of it!!!!:bassist: I Like really jazzy, low end but i want the clarity and punch of Flea, i was wondering as this is the forum for like some of the most experienced bassists in the world if people could give me their opinion on what the best bass for me would be, i'm looking for something under $700 which i can treasure until i can scrape enough money together to get the basses that i dream of eg. stingray, Flea bass, Fender Jazz. Thanks guys

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    A preowned Peavey Cirrus can be found quite often in this price range. It's a whole lotta bass at any price. I've owned several boutique basses which often felt to me like nothing more than a few really nice pieces of wood slapped together with some really nice hardware and really nice electronics. Beyond that, there just wasn't much there. I played a Peavey Cirrus one day and was ruined for life. It's got boutique feel, craftsmanship and attention to detail like the best of them but, unlke some, still retains some character and personality of it's own. That seems to be a rare thing, IME.

Just my HO.

3. Spaff

Spaff

Apr 21, 2003
    Cambridge UK
    Cheers man, but i've seen the peavey's about they look nice and i'm sure definatly feel nice (never tried on) but I really want a bass with quite a bit of attitude, the cort Curbow takes may eye quite a bit.

4. Dude, go used and you can score either a Stingray or a Jazz right now. $700 is a bit tight for a Stingray (a recent one in good condition usually sells for 800-850), but you won't have any trouble finding a used MIA Jazz for that price.

Good luck!

5. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY

I would definitely go for a used Peavey Cirrus. They have what your looking for. Jazzy lows, yet they have obtain a very nice punch for slap. They're veyr cheap used too. You can find a used Bubinga 4 string on Ebay for like $650, it sells for like $1280. Like Mike said, the Cirrus basses are quality built and feel liek boutique basses. I was going to buy one of these basses until I discovered FBB and JAF basses.

6. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    By the way, IMO, "jazzy" and Stingray do not go together. The Stingray has too much punch for jazz.

7. Spaff

Spaff

Apr 21, 2003
    Cambridge UK
    Everyone seems to be raving about the peavey Cirrus, is that the one with the 'c' inlay on the 12th frt? i'll be sure to look into those, i understand what you mean about the stingray, its just i love that bass so much, and hopefully i'll be able to get one eventually, thanx for all you help.
    I another bass that interested me was the Ibenez EDA top of the range 4 string, that looked pretty sweet. what do you think?

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Visit some Guitar Centers and see if there are any Music Mans still marked down. A little bit ago they were selling new ones for under $900-some down to $750.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's a Stingray in the Classifieds here at TB for $800 right now-and that may be negotiable.

10. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    mtd heir is the best bass for under $700 in my opinion.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Our own Smash has a Stingray in the Classifieds right now for $650.

13. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    The heir is good, but the neck pickup has a lot of hum in it. I would say go for the lakland 01 series.

14. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Reverend Rumblefish!!!!!!!

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    MIM Fenders

Warwick Rockbasses

16. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    There is alot of good options for $700. Used, there is alot out there, too mush too list. Search the net a bit.
    Brand new, as stated earlier, you can get a Fender Jazz. For approx. $650 you can get a Geddy Lee Fender Jazz. There are some good reviews on TB about this bass. Versitle and easily to upgrade.

17. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    If you want a good Jazz Bass for that price, I recomend the Geddy Lee Jazz. It has a very good rep around here.

18. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    You can get a Warwick Corvette or Streamer for 700 or less if you're patient on ebay or other places. A bit more of a unique sound but has quite the punch and growl, and a decent jazz tone as well. I've seen 4 string go for as cheap as 450 or so on ebay, so if you hit one at the right time, you could get one cheap and have some cash left over.

Peavey Cirrus is anohter fine choice that can be had for about your spending range.

19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Used MIA Fender.