1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you think it is that makes you like a specific tone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joesick, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Joesick

Joesick

Jan 3, 2007
    I mean, what is it within different people that makes them like different tones?

For example Warwick, you either love or hate their tone.

Manymany people stick with Fenders when others have moved on to 11-stringed active soap-bar equipped monsters made out of cork.

A lot of it has to do with style, but I play metal and I fell in love with an old Gretsch Hollowbody.

Is it something in our psyche?

Like, depressive people prefer Hofners while happy people play Musicmans?

What could it be???

2. 905

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    TBH I try not to think of this because it usually ends up with me wondering whether all sounds sound the same for everyone, or if things sound different from person to person.

To put it this way;
    Something you may describe as sound punchy and full, I might say dull and muddy.

3. For me it's how a bass cuts through a mix more than the type of bass being played.

4. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Being able to hear ,note attack, a good dose of mids and, easily heard upper harmonics. Punchy and in your face tone.

5. Distinctiveness.

Being able to tell what kind of bass it is just by listening is something that I really like.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Interesting question...I respond more to sale price than tone. Every bass I've ever owned sounds like me playing it, so I've gone way down in how much I'll pay than before when I thought the kind of bass you play actually mattered.

7. I think it has to do with the first bassists that influenced you and made you want to play bass. Jaco was the first bassist that i fell in love with, and i cant get enough of his barky, bright tone, so I tend to favor the bridge pickup in jazz style basses.

Whatever works for you.

8. +1. I grew up on ALOT of Parliment and JB (and regardless of what I play-rock, country, etc, you can hear the P funk in it LOL). But Ive grown to like that boomy, rubbery bass with just enough mid to shape it. I'd have to say it amazes even myself that in my 12+ yrs of playing that I never tried a fender til now.

9. I love it when you can hear something, and within 3 notes, be able to say "oh, that's a ____" or "you can tell ____'s tone from anywhere" I like that.

~K