Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of Aero Pickups?????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Oct 13, 2002.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I am getting a pair of single coil pickups for my FBB five string. I would like to know what everyone thinks of these pickups

2. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Aero pickups are the best in my book. I just finished a bass that i built and installed areo's in it. All of my basses have aeros. I dont think you will find any other pickup as good as those. The thing about aeros is they are all custom made to your liking.

I chose dual coils for the bass that i just built. I wanted to be able to split the coils and get a single coil out of it. I love the tone of them. Very full and wide range. Not thin or boomy, just right. I would say that aeros have a vintage sound with a hifi edge to them. Very clean and clear. I think they are very close to Lane Poors with a more vintage tone.

I am pretty sure you will love them.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks!!! I can;t wait til i get them. Are your basses passive? Thats what i'm going to run my 5 string.

4. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    My basses are active and passive. I have wired them to run both ways. A lot of circuits have this function but dont really run truley passive (like bartolini). So i dont use bartolini. I want to be able to run truely passive to get that passive tone. Bartolini preamps still send the signal through the preamp in passive mode. The bass i just built is a Haz Lab preamp. I had this preamp custom done for me. I am also getting another preamp custom done to check out by a friend of mine. The pickups sound very nice both active and passive. Again I think these are the best pickups out there.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    sounds interesting...My rig as of right now is Alembic F1 preamp, Stewart PA-1000 power amp, and two Euphonic Audio CxL-110s. My bass I'm playing right now is a 1983 Alembic Spoiler 4 string, It has a great tone. I 've never been a big fan of inboard bass preamps. I think a hate Barts they seem to kill (over power) any amp you play with. Well, I'm done rambling..........

6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I too use Aero pickups in the basses I make. Best thing out there! I think they're a lot warmer than Lane Poor, but not as dark as Barts. I usually run them passive into my Raven Labs MDB-1 preamp. Larry can make a lot of different things -his type II pickups have a low mid emphasis with more low end, and they sound great in my fretless.

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Are you sure about this? The preamp is still drawing battery power when being bypassed, but there's no signal going to the preamp and no signal going out to the jack when the bypass is engaged.

8. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I have rewired one of my basses to see if the preamp truely bypasses by just wiring the volume and pan to the pickups and there is a tonal difference. I know you can not use the tone controls with the preamp bypassed and i know it does still draw power from the battery.

All i am saying with my previous statement is that the signal still runs through part of the circuit board and that does change the tone of the pickups which results in a tonal change of the bass. So saying that it isnt a true preamp bypass. If it was a true bypass the signal would not run through the preamp.

That is my take on active/passive modes of a bass.