Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do you think of an Ibanez w\ emgs(none in particular)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Aug 18, 2003.

1. just a quick question cuz I keep wondering how they'd work as a combo.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The earliest Soundgears (SR800, SR1000) had EMG pickups. Ibanez stopped using them after a few years in place of their own electronics.

I thought they sounded killer, much better than current Soundgears.

My $0.02.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea they would sound pretty nice IMO

my $0.04 cause im cool. :rolleyes: :D

4. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Did anybody tried upgrading stock passive pickups on Ibanez SR400 (or similar) with active EMG P/G set? I wonder if it all could be done on your own without much background in this subject. Any tutorials available online? Thanks.

5. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Brian that's cool, never knew that. Before I read your post I was thinking the only reason to buy an Ibanez is if you like that Ibanez sound... IMO as long as you stay away from their bottom-of-the-line models they're pretty ok, so why would you want to put EMGs in one. I imagine the older Soundgears with EMGs sounded "cleaner" and less Ibanez-ish?

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    My main 4 string is an '84 Roadstar II w/ an EMG35P4. I love it! IMO, EMGs are very easy to install, most everything is prewired. Check out the instructions at the EMG site.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    really? That would explain why my SR800 sounds like a bass and most of Ibanez's offerings after that sounded like banjos.

I still use mine as a buckup to the Stingray and while it's not as good, it's still very usable.

8. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    I don't know about the old Ibanez basses, I don't even know when mine was made. I grew to like how this bass sounds and records. I want to switch the pickups becuase it sounds great unplugged, so maybe EMG's will capture that sound better.

9. gyellow

gyellow

Dec 16, 2003
    I have an sr400 also and love the way it plays and feels. I agree it sounds good unplugged but when plugged in it sounds... well I guess it sounds ok, but I wish it sounded better. I've thought of the EMG's but i'm not sure how hard it would be to wire them to the preamp? So, I was looking at passive pickups, but haven't been able to find out what kind will give me the sound I'm looking for. I want a clean clear sound, maybe something like Eric Wilson's tone from sublime. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

10. skin

skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    I have an SR480 and with a new set of DR High Beams, it talks!