Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of an RFP?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by smperry, Jan 30, 2006.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    So, I'm interested in having a custom six string bass built sometime and I don't have a specific builder in mind. I know there are a bunch of "indie" luthiers on TB and I was wondering how people would respond to a "Request for Proposals", basically where I start a thread with the basic details of what I'm looking for, what I'll provide, and what I can afford (we're not talking Ritter dollars here), and people write me with suggestions for a project they'd like to tackle (design, cost, timeframe). It could all be done over email or PM. That way, luthiers that are interested in it could write me with their own vision...which might make for a cooler bass!

Not a revolutionary idea or anything, but I never see it on TB. Good idea? Tacky? Against a TB rule that I've missed?

(note, I'm not asking for any proposals now)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Marshall

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I have often wondered the same about putting up an RFP on TB!!!

Bump for you...

:)

3. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Fro what I can understand of the rules we can't publicly sollicitate work from members. Which means that whoever wants to take part in this will have to do it through PM. You can either PM the luthiers you find yourself and ask them or wait for them to see this thread and PM you.

I think that doing this in an open thread is a recipe for disaster. Do you really want 3 or 4 guys all trying to get the work by outbidding each other or coming up with unrealisable ideas? I can see flame wars starting at the idea of a couple of guys trying to get that job. There's also the fact that not all luthiers are created equal. It might be better for you to research the luthiers on this forum and ask the ones you like through PM if they would be interested.

4. Because of the sticky issues regarding commercial posts, you might want to run this by Paul. It sounds like a plausible idea but Paul and the mods will want to fine tune it.

5. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks for your thoughts. The truth is there are many luthiers on TB whose work I've admired from afar. I could contact a bunch of people to see what comes of it, but I'd probably forget some people. My loss, which might be ok.

I put in my post that it would be via PM or Email but I said "it could be done..." so maybe that wasn't clear. I did not necessarily mean an open thread, but maybe its something that could be posted, stickied, and locked so that people can only contact me directly?

I wouldn't think a flame war could happen, but it wouldn't be the first time I made an incorrect assumption.

Marshall

6. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks Hambone. That makes sense. If I do this, I'll check with Paul and mods first. Unless everyone thinks it's a bad idea, in which case I won't bother.

It seems like there's no reason stopping me from posting "custom 6 string bass" in the classifieds wanted section, but I wouldn't know if people would see that. I didn't think that would violate commerical user stuff, since I'm not the business, but I do understand how replies are at risk for violation, hence the PM.

Marshall

7. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Well a bunch of people have seen this thread and there have only been a couple of responses, so I'll assume no one (other than NJL :)) thinks its a good idea. :meh: I guess I'll just contact people directly.

M

8. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I don't think it's a horrible idea, but I can see a downside... why take the time to put together a full proposal if you're not sure a potential customer is at all interested in your work? I would hate to spend that time and possibly give away some good ideas when a person might just be fishing for plans to bring to their personal or a cheaper builder. I'm not all about protecting ideas but when you're competing price/experience wise with unseen people there's a lot of room for squishy feelings.