Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of Crate Bx-100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkbassist14, Feb 11, 2002.

1. <html>
    <head>
    </head>
    <body bgcolor="blue">
    <fontcolor="red"><B>
    <P>What do you think of crates I want to play punk mostly mabe join a band do you think it would be loud enough?
    </P>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

2. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    I've played through many different crate amps, while making a decent practice amp for a bedroom, i dont think you would get enough volume to play a small-club punk gig out of that amp, especially tinkering with the eq (cut mids on crates KILLS volume IME). The 50 watt models are great for practicing on your own, the 100 would do the job practicing with a drummer and guitarist, but i recommend saving up and getting something bigger. 100 watts is more than you need for your bedroom but not quite enough for a loud bandmates in a club/bar situation. Look into some other brands, yorkville can be a cheap alternative that offers a decent watt/dollar ratio. Save up, buy used.

3. I talk to a kid that play a 40 watt marshal he says with the settings right he can play with his band dont know if its just crate but 100w should do for a wile i think

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, due to the difference in frequencies, a guitar player needs considerably less watts to achieve volume. All those buck wild Marshall stacks? 100 watts, sometimes less. But, a huge bass stack might run you in the neighborhood of 1200+ watts. Bass freqencies just require more power to reproduce.

Standard thinking is that you need 3-4x the watts of your guitarplayer. So 40 watts? 120-160 watts, at least more like 200+. Most bassists won't leave the house with less than 300.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm using a Crate BX-100 now. I'm getting by just fine in small rooms with a rock/blues/soul band. I actually chose it over Ampeg or Fender models because I think it sounds better. The handle could be a little stronger, and when you REALLY push it (3/4 up all around), it starts to clip a little, but I'm doing fine at half-volume/gain. I like the 7-band EQ (not found on Ampeg or Fender), and the fact that you can plug in an extra cab if you want.

6. I talk to a kid that plays a 40 watt marshal he says with the settings right he can play with his band dont know if its just crate but 100w should do for a wile i think

-sorry i forgot to say he plays bass :rolleyes: ya now i'm thinking of getting a 220w crate half stack but whats better for punk/rock 1 driver or 4?

7. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    i currently own a crate halve stack a 220 and a 2x15...all crate....it really loud but not good for recording....depending on yuo price budget....go for it.