What do you think of FretFX on a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FireBug, Oct 9, 2005.

1. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    I came across this:

What would you think if you saw this thing on a bass? They are kinda cool, but I would be a bit embarrassed to have them on my bass. When people see LEDs they think "ooo...custom job. Nice!"
    "No, sorry to disappoint, but I taped these on."

Has anyone seen these before?
  2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    From the site:
    Yes, instant value... unless you're trying to sell it, of course
  3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    If you want LEDs, go SimS Custom. This is...I want to say disgusting.
  4. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Exactly. Sims will have my business in the future. $500 is worth not getting the "oh...you mean to say it's fake?" look. I don't really see how this company stays in business.
  5. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Woah! 500 bucks? Thats nearly as much as a SimS job. If you have a nice bass, and all the upgrades you have left are aehestic, go with SimS.
  6. Does this SimS Custom have a website? I'm curious now..

Edit: NevermindSimS Custom
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IIRC someone who worked for Sims was looking at moving over to the states to start up shop. Now I wish I could remember who this was.
  8. well, they are only $70...which is a decent alternative to almost 10x that of a SimS job... (69.96 vs. $520)
    i don't think they are taht bad if it weren't for the battery in the headstock as the only option...
  9. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Yeah, I was saying that the Sims Custom job costs around 500 bucks. The tape-on ones are only 60-70.
  10. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    By the way, the SensiLight system from Sims is freaking awesome. Apparently it is hooked into the output somehow? I don't know but I have that video saved on my computer.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I wouldn't do it for the "cool" factor. I'd do it if I had to play a dark stage where I couldn't see the side dots on my instrument.
  12. They look horrible. You can tell from a distance that they're fake. No damn way I'd be mounting some ugly box on the back of my headstock.
  13. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    When I said cool, I meant the concept of LEDs...unless of course they are taped on...like these.

I'd like to see fiber optics in a bass. It would be cool to see the name on the headstock light up with wavy color changes. I know you guys have seen stuff like what I am talking about.
  14. Incredibly gaudy.
  15. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    I think you're missing the point. Having side LEDS or some other system to highlight the position markers along the side of the neck can be very useful in a dim or dark stage. This is not about having "showy" LEDS on the face of your bass, which frankly have limited practical value. If you have an Alembic or similar instrument with LEDS factory fitted on the bass that's great. Likewise, if you want aftermarket SIMS LEDS, that's great too, but if you want to keep your currently LED-less bass completely stock, whether it be a vintage or whatever, e.g., for simple resale purposes, this is not a bad idea. SIMS LEDS require drilling out the position markers on your existing neck, running the wiring through the truss rod cavity (I think) and, if you don't have enough room in the control cavity, routing out the body somewhere to incorporate the battery. This way, you don't have to make permanent modifications to your bass and can easily remove them if you want to sell the bass on without worrying whether the buyer will like your custom touch or if you just want to change the color.
  16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I never really look at my position markers and the one bass I ordered custom had a blank fingerboard, but for the frets. My old teacher when I was a teenager had me practice in the dark to help train my hands and ears.

However, if dark stages are a problem, consider applying just a dot of flourescent paint to your side markers. Can't see it in lighted conditions, and it will glow a bit when the lights go out . . . enough that you can see them. Cheap, easy, and you can scrape the paint off with your fingernail if you don't like it or want to sell the bass.
  17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The whole self adhesive LED strip is no thicker than a dime. I guess it's a good, cheap, non permanent and out of the way solution for someone who plays on dark stages.