Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of GHS Progressives?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DLM, Jul 14, 2004.

1. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    I have a new bass on order and the luthier installs GHS Progressives as standard strings. He contends that they not only feel better than either stainless or nickel, but are slicker (faster) and last longer. He credits the Alloy 52 as being the main component.

Anyway, what's the consensus on these strings? I'm trying to determine if I should stick with my DR Sunbeams (which I use on my other bass) or have him go with GHS Progressives.

2. I used several sets on my Fender RB5. They seem to last a good while, albeit nowhere close to the three years I currently have on my TI Flats.

Feel is good, and so is playability. They are fairly bright. I liked the Alloy 52 thing for being kind to the frets.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Who is the luthier, may I ask? The reason I'm curious is that my friend Pete Hanewinckel installs Progressives on all his basses. I have 8 of Pete's basses so I've had a fair amount of experience with 'em! :D I like 'em--good feel, they last a while and nice balanced tone.

4. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Hey, Boogiebass...

The luthier is Pete! I decided to have him build me a 5-string bass. I'm not familiar with GHS Progressives (been a long-time DR Sunbeam and D'Addario XL user) so I'm trying to see what the word is on these strings. Also, I'm used to a slightly smaller gauge set (45/65/80/100) compared to what Pete usually installs (45/65/85/105/125), so I need to determine the gauges, as well, so he can modify the nut appropriately.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'd say they're a bit warmer than the DR's but not that far off from XL's. They feel smoother to me, however, than XL's. A little smoother. They're sort of a nice balance between bright steels and warm nickels. Which is pretty much how they're marketed, I think. They also have silks which makes them a little gentler on your tuning posts than the DR's or XL's.

There has been some discussion of GHS discontinuing them but I believe Pete has determined that to be a false alarm.

In any case, you may want to try a set on your bass before you have Pete install them on the new one. That way, you can decide for yourself if you like 'em or not.

Good luck!