Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of home-made cabs??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelu, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I just bought a Hartke 3500 and I want a big 1x15' cab but I got no money..
    A friend of mine has constructed 2 cabs for his '74 Twin Reverb.. It sounds great and it has a custom orange finition (as his guitar..)
    I think I'm going to do as him.. because a big cab for 230 euros..
    I'd like to have advices from you guys...
    Thanks

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I think you are saying you want to build a cabinet; that has been covered quite a bit; use the SEARCH feature for "Cabinet 101".

In a nutshell- serious pro's will suggest you don't, because your first attempts may not be too swell (a guitar box is trivial; bass cabinets are much different). Your resale value will be very low and they may be difficult to move at all.

That being said, you can sometimes make a box for a little cheaper than you can buy some. Usually folks do their own cabs because they enjoy the challenge or because they want something that is not available in the general marketplace.

You might find it's cheapest to buy a used empty cabinet from a music store (they usually have junk somewhere) and drop in a cheap speaker. This will not give you the best sound, but it can be pretty cheap.

3. I second that opinion. Buying a used cab is usually cheaper than building one yourself. Especially if you've never done it before. Simply because of the fact that as a single person, you won't get all the discounts on materials, like a big company that buys speakers and wood sheets by the hundreds. And for a first-timer you probably won't have the right tools (etc) to begin with.

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You can get a new cab for as little as 350e, and building your own is always a bit of a risk, so I don't know if it's worth it.

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I posted this reply in "basses" but your thread there is likely to get moved or deleted, so I will post in again.

I use a homemade(not my home) 2X8 with aluminum cones as a monitor at church. Works great, and I am going to have the guy who built it build me a matching 2x12 or 1X15.
    The carpet he used was a unique blue-grey that I always thought looked great. I hope we can get more of that color for the new cab.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I think you will likely be happier with a used, name brand cab.

Homebuilt stuff is unpredictable no matter how well you build it. If you don't know the science behind designing one, you have no idea how it's going to sound.

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Indtead of making a cab, another option is to get a avatar. You can't built it yourself cheaper, and I seriously doubt it would be better. Now that I really think about it, a avatar 15 would go great with my 2X8. I bet they would compliment each other well.
    Has anybody here compared the C15 to the full sized cabinets? Any major differences? I would love to get the small one, because I have space issue, but I don't want to waste my money if it sounds thin.

8. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I've built both a 2x10 and a 1x15 and they turned out better than I had anticipated, however---had I not gotten the plywood for free it would have been as expensive or more so to have completed the job. It did help me to understand the process better and to appreciate those that do this on a large scale (like an Avatar), but like mentioned above, it's not without it's "pains" and if you don't have the tools and a way to cut costs, it could be a dissapointment. But, it can also be addictive!

*a side note: I've gotten scrap plywood from a local cabinet builder for my projects---it's worth checking around because sometimes these folks throw out some very decent sized pieces.

9. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I have no problem for finding wood...
    One of my relatives is a wood exportator..
    Nice prices ;)

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Not being one to nit, is "exportator" a word??? You mean exporter?

11. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    yeah i mean exporter..
    Someone who exports wood..

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I like my two homebuilt cabinets...I wasn't too creative though...my 1x15 was an EV design and my 2x10 is of standard dimensions.

If you were in the US rather than France, I'd heartily recommend that you buy a cabinet from Avatar. However, shipping to Europe would cost more than the cabinet did.

I suggest that you look for a good used cabinet. In the long run, it will have resale value and will be a better overall value even if it costs more than the materials for building your own.

Have fun and good luck!!!

13. Leo Fender used to build home-made guitars.

14. Avatar offers their 115 cab without a speaker for $99.00 and with a Kappa pro for a little more than $200.00 You'd be hard pressed to build it yourself for any less. http://www.avatarspeakers.com

15. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I built both cabinets and the 'custom' rack case for about $450, with enough corners, ports, handles, jacks and jackplates for another cabinet. The speakers are Eminence Kappa Pro LFA's... I used WinISD to get the basic dimensions, asked and had a few questions answered here, and went for it. I was looking for certain cab, (small, lightweight 1X15 w/no horn), and decided to built rather than buy... My son and I kinda needed a 'bonding' type of project at the time.

There's definitely a science to it, and plenty of folks here who can theorize rings around my punk ass, but the beauty of WinISD is that it will guide you to a decent sounding cab based on whatever driver you plug in. If you have basic woodworking skills and a place to do it, and keep your plan relatively simple, then you shouldn't have too many problems...

-robert

[​IMG]

16. Sorry, the little child in me just snickered.

OHHHH. Exports...not sports.

Got it.