What do you think of Lull?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Circus, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Well, JPJ has been very kind in helping me find a new bass, I didn't know that a hand built was in my price range. Umm, well what does everyone think of Lull p and j basses? I would most likely get a j, I play in rock bands, one has a somehwat punky edge, but I personally like all kinds of music, rock, punk, funk, jazz. What do you guys think? My original options were a dingwall afterburner, peavey cirrus, or lakland 55-02. JPJ also suggest Eshenbaugh, and benavente's lower models, like the vortex,or 51.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have a Lull P5. Fit and finish are impressive, and it's the fastest "player" I have... slim fast satin-finish neck (though the headstock face is glossy, which is a cool touch). Mine's passive, but Lull offers options for active electronics.

The only complaint I have is that bridge spacing is 17mm (I'd prefer 19mm). But again, mine's a fiver... if you're interested in a four-string with Jazz bass spacing you won't be disappointed.

Overall, I think Lull offers boutique quality for a very reasonable price. As you said both P and J models are available... and the P is also available as a PJ.
  3. i owned a couple of lull jazz basses. they would be great for the styles you mentioned IMO. they have kind of a clunky, raw, barky type jazz tone.. not really smooth.. more in your face.
  4. Sounds like my kind of bass :)
  5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have a Lull P and I love playing it. Nice smooth neck and very well balanced. I bought it used at Bass NW for $1100.
  6. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I've had four Lull's

a natural P4 and a Modern 5 (green w/LED's) that I've sold, and currently have an M5 and M5V

I think your best bet would probably be a 4-string P/J. If you want a P sound, roll to the neck, if you want some more growl, roll to the bridge. Second choice a jazz 4.

Mike's basses are extremely well made, sound incredible and are very light. Evey time I receive a Lull, it feels like the box is empty.

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    The one's I've played have been awesome.
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You could also consider your compatriots JAF

and Mike Kinal

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Nice basses. I had an artists deal with them for a while. Good materials, finish, etc. My Sadowskys are better so I no longer use the Lulls. Very nice though, would recommend if you like a "Fender" type bass

10. Heh, trust me, if I could afford a sadowsky, I would get one. But, I want a high end bass for in my price range, so I think a lull j, or j/p, or an Eshenbaugh J Series, or a Benavente Vintage Vortex. I kind of hate fender though :) . My old options were cirrus, dingwall afterburner, or lakland. The cirrus and lakland have given way to my new choices, but the dingwall is still possible.
  11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Look for a used Sadowsky, then. There was one in classified the other day for $1700

12. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Regarding Lull basses...
    I agree. I have a Lull and Sadowsky and I believe that they are significantly different sounding and feeling. I don't think there's "a better". It really depends on what you are looking for. The Sadowsky is a bit more versatile and polite and the Sadowsky preamp is something you need to hear in different settings to appreciate. However, I can't make my Sadowsky bark and clank like my Lull. The Lull has an onboard bart two-band pre that I don't care for, so I run it in passive mode through the Sadowsky preamp/DI pedal. If I had to chose one it would be the Sadowsky, but the Lull is great and I plan to keep it as long as I can afford to.

Here they are straddling my #1 bass.
  13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
  14. This sound (aggressive mids) is what provides me endless compliments about the sound of my lull vintage 4--just about every new playing situation that I have had the bass somebody comments about the great sounding bass.
  15. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I really like the Lull's. I think it has a more aggresive midrange sound that the Sadowsky's can't get. I would really like to get a PJ 5 if it was made in a 34'scale. I believe that all his 5's are 35 though.
  16. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you think you might like something different that the Bart pre in your Lull, you might think about going with either the 18 volt Aguilar OBP-1 or OBP-3, as both are standard options on Lulls now, and might offer more of what is considered to be a "Sadowsky-esque" tone...more than the Bart, that is. Just thought I'd throw that out if there is anyone else out there who isn't happy with the performance of their Bartolini preamp.
  17. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Thanks. I don't know anything about those pre's or what they'd give me over a Sadowsky o/b DI. I guess I need to hear it. The Bart seems terminally nasally in the mids to my ears in spite of its 2 band low-boost/cut and treble boos/cut. I need to checkout the Aguilar.

18. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    The only fretted I own is a Lull Modern 5 and I think it is a fantastic bass. I have played and owned a lot of similar basses and the Lull is right up ther with any of them. I agree that the bart NTMB pre is not the best option on this bass, but I play it in passive mode or without any cut/boost while active so it isn't a big deal. With a different rig, or for someone whose style fits it better I think that the Bart pre would be fine.
  19. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Those Eshenbaugh J's are mighty scrumptious. Top notch construction and very nice for a variety of styles. Passive, it gets the "Jazz on steroids" sound. Alltime top of my list.
    The larger body is an excellent touch as well.
    I'd like to see Soybase's singlecut when it's finished sometime...
    Mark's a nice guy as well.