1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what do you think of my bands first song?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by servetakid, Apr 27, 2010.

1. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    its my band, The Verdicts first self wrote song, inspired by the stone roses album second comming and late 60's physc/rock, i would like some constructive critism/what people think of the song, i know there isnt amazing sound, it was recorded on my phone

the lyrics by me, and music by the guitarist

i wasnt sure where to post this, i thought in hear would be a decent place, as it could be classed as band improvement

plus i would skip the 1st 30secs or so... lol

The Verdict - The Story of the Book

2. You could put this in 'recordings' and get far more views.

That said, criticisms?

Can't hear the guitar real well, not nor the singing, but here's what I hear.

Work on that timing! You guys are drifting a bit in tempo, and your breaks, restarts, and transitions are a bit on the sloppy side. Get that metronome out and use it until you feel you have that internal rhythm.

I see that you're all fairly young, and this is your first tune together, but really learn to really hone those transitions between parts. It's really an integral part of making a 'song'... and not a collection of riffs.

I'm not sure if it's back to the timing issues, or there's just something missing between the verses and choruses....but it's nothing you couldn't work out or overcome.

Once a song is complete, practice the thing until you could play it in your sleep. When you rehearse it as a band, and you hear something getting out of whack, stop and play that part together over and over until you're happy about it. Once again, it's usually the transitions that trip us up, so expect to put more time working on them than any other part.

As far as style...I think you guys are hitting what you want here. I'm definitely getting a T-Rex vibe.

Good luck and happy jamming!

3. Not Bad.
    What helps me is to record and review and work on the parts that need it.
    Practice practice and more practice.
    Keep it up!

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Give ya all credit for havin' guts, anyway. Technically, the audio is awful, but you know that. If you young fellas are having fun and letting your creativity flow that's what matters. It'll all come in time. Keep at it, no one's first try at anything difficult is ever really good. But if everyone stopped there, there would be no greats.

5. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    we have some "cubase"software and were gunna recor it on there, but however we were having some problems on that, so we resorted to my mobile, so next practice i was gunna film it on a proper cam corder.

overall thanks for the advice, we'll work on our timings and gettig the vocals louder,

6. "T"

"T"

Apr 6, 2010
    The cool thing is that you have enough confidence in yourselves to allow constructive/helpful criticism like this. Keep it up!

I think the mixing issue might just be a phone placement thing. (Man have times changed! lol) No biggie, but long term, be careful about how far you or the other band members get into engineering the recordings. A band consists of more than just the musicians. Learning how to work with folks who dedicate themselves to recording will take you much further than trying to do too much on your own.

The only thing I'd like to add to what has already been said is that once you've started locking down the rythym, start experimenting with dynamics. For example, the simplest and most effective way to accentuate the lyrics in a verse is to bring the instrument volume down a little during the verse and then kick everything up for the chorus. If you've never done this before, you'll be blown away at the effect.

Overall nice start! Better than most!

7. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    You guys can do anything you want, your young and your English. Those 2 facts will mean more than how good the song is.

Keep at it.

blue