What do you think of my prototype bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkual, Aug 23, 2005.

1. funkual

Dec 21, 2004
    Hi there, I was a bit bored of some of the shapes of bass guitars out there, so after finishing guitar building college I decided to build this. It's fretless with active pick ups and plays and sounds fantastic. I like the shape (obviously or I wouldn't of built it that way) but was just wanting a few other peoples opinions, and thought that this would be a good place to start as I am thinking of building a few more. I can't put pics on here so check it out at

Any feedback would be much appreciated negative or possitive.
    Thankyou please
  2. Jorge

Jul 6, 2005
    cool, i would buy one :smug:
  3. Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    Thats a pretty cool body shape, I like it. How long did it take to build?
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That's an interesting neck joint. Please explain........
  5. Hopefully this will not sound negative- I think it looks a lot like some Washburn basses I've seen. In your favor, it certainly looks well-executed. Don't stop!
  6. funkual

Dec 21, 2004
    To be honest not quite sure how long it took as it was a bit of a working progress I didn't go all out on it as so to speak, as I had to borrow tools ect to build it, and tried several finishes and stripped before i settled on one. The neck joint is the same as any other really just with a diagonal joint instead of a square one, it is a bolt on as I wasn't brave enough to try the neck through aproach at the time, but kind of wanted the neck through look so when I stained it I masked part of the area off to give it a kind of neck through look. Funny you should mention washburn as the outer body shape and neck dimensions were heavily influenced by a washburn bass, and actually contains washburn components as my friend was selling some bits and bobs from one. Although the next one i build i think will be even more original as I'm going to keep the curvy 3d shape, but try something different with regards to the main shape. I might even try the neck through aproach, what do you guys think neck through or bolt on?.
  7. DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    For anyone who plays with a pick (even some of the time) that one nob will certainly be in the way, otherwise I like it........
  8. Not for nothing, but that does indeed look identical to the Washburn XB400 shape. Are you sure you didn't just modify an existing Washburn??? :D I mean even the headstock is the same, just slightly altered. Even the position markers' layout...
    Just wondering, because if that's the case, it's not terribly original. I do like some of the sculpting you did.
  9. My first thought was that it was a Washburn that somebody carved on a little bit. I'm glad I'm not the only one to think so. Building a bass up from parts is all well and good, but to carve and sand one and call it your own is another thing. :scowl:
  10. Yeah. I mean you said you finished "guitar college". Isn't part of the curriculum making a scratchbuilt instrument for a passing grade? I just don't think that's the case here. C'mon dude, come clean.
  11. What is guitar building college anyway? I must say that this looks a little suspect. By a little, I mean a lot.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah...I can't imagine coming out of say, Roberto Venn and calling it "guitar building college."

Of course, I think his user name should be a clue as to how seriously we should take him...
  13. I was gonna say that...good call my man.
  14. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I like your Washburn. Looks great!

15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Could you define the words in bold?

Man, nothing gets by you guys! That was quick.

16. 4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I would agree that appears to be a lightly carved / painted on Washburn. :rollno:
  17. Gotta hand it to ya Funky, that's one finely modded Washburn ya got yourself there. Even if you did make the guitar from scratch, which I'm 99% certain you didn't, it would be wise to try to make an ORIGINAL design instead of copying one that is already in production.
  18. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Any feedback?
    Whether you're trying to be funny, or sadly not aware that you haven't really "built" anything you should try to be more truthfull next time. There's nothing wrong with modding a bass and making it "your own", some before and after pics may have even been interesting for those thinking about "reworking" an old bass they may have sitting around.
    The bass looks....quite the same really.
  19. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Yep, that about says it.