Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of Nightline/grand theft auto controversy?? (not pollitical a bit)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I was wondering, What do yall think of GTA3?? and the controversy caused around it??
    I think its a fun game. I dont agree with some of the things in the game, but its fun none the less to drive cars around and blow crap up. Id like to get some parrents views on this?? if they saw the nightline??
    Personally I think they are overhyping it. They overhype everything nowadays though.
    So what do yall think??
    My friend got it for christmas but then his parents saw that nightline thing, and opened the christmas present, and took it away. Hes 16.
    I actually went to buy it the other day and i got carded at walmart. I cant really blame them i mean there is some stuff in the game, thats not too apropriate from the younger kids but i think ya know if they dont get scared by that, and they know for a fact whats good and bad then i think it wouldn't be as bad. The only thing is, the woman was really really mean about it and almost called me a lier about my ID. She asked me "well did you make this!?!?!! it looks like you did", I was like.. WOMAN!!!!!! Crazy people :rolleyes:
    well if you think this game should be banned, say so. Just state your opinion on the game really if you want. Just dont let this turn ugly, Mods, im trusting you that people will respect each other!!! *grins*

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think if people can't seperate reality from videogames (I don't care how realistic the graphics are getting) you should be locked up. This also comes back to Columbine... they played Doom... so what. Lets think about how many copies of Doom have been bought (or even better yet, pirated) and lets think about how many school shootings there have been. Grand Theft Auto is a good game to play when you need to vent, you're not killing real people and you're not blowing up real cars. It's a game for Christmas sake.

3. it's a game. if kids think that a video game is the same as real life, they have serious problems and should be in front of a tv or in public schools.
    with columbine- i'd be more upset with the people that allowed kids to have easy access to a boatload of freakin' guns, or any guns, of course.
    gta3 actually keeps me from going on rampages killing people. in all seriousness, i control my extra anger by sitting down with my ps2 and killing imaginary people on my tv screen. no harm done. and i'm a nice, happy, law abiding (kinda) citizen.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I think that the prevalence of violence in video games is detrimental in that it can tend to cheapen the value of human life, especially if a person already has leanings in that direction. I don't ban my kids, (14 and 15), from playing them totally, but I do sit back and watch until I feel totally comfortable with a game as well as limit the amount of time that is spent gaming. GTA3 isn't an issue to me as we don't have that one... As far as a tool for anger management, wow... I dunno... physical activity seems much more logical.

-robert

5. physical activity is not really a way to work out my pure anger and hatred unless it is destructive, like getting into fights or smashing stuff. don't get me wrong; i do focus some energy into things other than video games. but when it's really really destructive energy, i take it out on virtual beings.
    keep in mind, i am pretty much retarded. i should put that in my signature.

6. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    wow..
    floyd... you.. my goodfriend ..are a very little scary kid.. .. calm your anger.. it will go away..:D
    yeah i agree somewhat with rllefebv, although i dont know about taking your anger out, but its fun, i guess its just kinda like music that you find offensive. If there is any music you find offensive, I guess that if you take it too seriously, it can be bad. But if you just play the game and take it with a grain of salt, whats the worse that could happen??

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    No offense, but if playing a video game is the only thing keeping you from going on a murder rampage, there are more prevalent problems to be dealt with at this time than the harm the actual video game causes.

8. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i see we have some GTA fans here. :D

ill agree that there are some areas in the game that are lacking as far as morals and what have you; however, the game is great. there are so many different things to do in the game thats its as though the game was simply a handful of games made into one great game. so you get bored of killing followed by high speed police chase; theres tons of options for you to choose from. you could catch bad guys instead of being one; become a taxi driver, firefighter, etc.; i mean a person can be entertained by driving around in the game and listening to the radio stations.

GTA3 was the beginning of something, in my opinion. all the negativity the game was given, from what ive seen and heard, only made the game that much more popular. then Vice City came out, and Rockstar had outdone GTA3 adding helicopters, motorcycles, more realistic environments and many other improvements over the first game which was already a smash hit.

If the parents don't want their kids to play it, i have no problem with that. Put your foot down, parents!

9. hey, at least i'm not in denial of the fact that i'm enormously screwed up! but seriously, i'm not actually gonna kill anyoneyet. i just like to work out my anger on a video game right when it hits me. i've gone through self-loathing and masichistic phases and stuff like that; i'm trying to get out of that. so i mow down pedestrians on my tv screen.
    like i said, keep in mind that i am really close to being a dufus.

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ding,ding,ding..i think we have a winner!

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I love the game. But, I do think that violence in games/on TV can influence kids behaviour. Ok, it's not solely responsible for it. When incidents like the afformentioned Columbine one happen, people seem to love to blame something, like video games. Marilyn Manson has been blamed for other murders in the past. As SuperDuck said, there are deeper problems than the video games. But, games like GTA do sorta ingraine in kids the idea that violence is cool. Some movies do too.

The trouble is, they make too much money. D'ya ever think maybe it's the same people in charge of the companies that make these movies and games that claim that they don't affect kids behaviour, that seem to also claim that a 30 second TV commercial *can*?

12. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    It's a good game. Let the kids play it. Let the teenagers play it. Let the adults play it.

Screw the media. I've been having about enough of their crap for the past, well, ever. Don't believe the hype. Just one thing for parents to make sure that their kid can play or do stuff like this. Make sure the kid is mature enough to dignify between right and wrong. Ask them directly. If they joke around but really know killing and drug dealing is wrong, then they're okay. If they say that that stuff is okay, then they're just hyped up on the game itself. It'll pass, just like everyother phase craze phenomenon.

I remember Pokemon and Magic cards. Parents used to say that stuff was evil because it promoted a dealer type of attitude, which they could later on in life use as a drug dealer. It's just cards. Or even worse, lead to the worship of Satan! I reiterate, it's just a game.

All in all, parents, make your best judgement call because ultimately you have the most influence on your child and how what they will grow up to be. Letting your child run around outside to malls and other houses unattended, exposed to sex, drugs, and god forbid 'Rock 'n Roll', will harm your child more than letting the kid play a stupid video game for hours on end in your living room.

Live and let live.:)

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LOL, I hadn't heard that one before. Pokemon turns kids into drug dealers. Whatever next. Barbie turns kids into strippers? :)

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

we could be so lucky...

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    TV and videogames might influence kids behaviour, but then..where are the parents? I watched everything when I was younger, and that includes horror movies. But I always did it with my parents. And they talked to me about the violence.

16. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    You asked for a Parent's viewpoint...okay, here's one for you:

Forget video games. Get a life! There's so much more you could be doing with your time than being glued to a tv set while turning yourself into a pasty-white pudge-bucket. Get outside and get some exercise, learn something, read something, do SOMETHING constructive.

Nothing I hate worse than watching my teenage son in the "game trance", and later hearing him complain that his life sucks. Life is what you make it, and gaming is wasting a large chunk of your life...which you only have in limited quantities, by the way.

I'm sure this will be a really popular opinion :)

17. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Couldnt agree more, Mike.

18. Here, Here...McChildree for President!!!

19. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I prefer Real Life to Virtual Reality.

Having said that, computer games are fun and some even claim they are helpful for things like eye-hand coordination and actually develops parts of your brain. I mostly like RPG games like Zelda and Diablo, or Myst-like games, shoot-them-ups are a bit too boring and mechanical for me.

Sports and other real activities are dangerous and sometimes violent too, especially the extreme sports trend, but even sports like hockey, so that should also be discussed in relation to violence in computer games. It's not just a games trend, it's a trend in society.

Most things are OK in moderation, just get some exercise inbetween the couch sessions and you'll be OK. By all means discuss what's depicted in games with kids and make sure they understand what they are seeing though.

Just my opinion of course.

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I gotta admit, I still love the Sonic games.