Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of Ovation Basses??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kelu, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I got this Ovation celebrity..
    (i also got a sterling..)
    I really love that sounding but some friends of me always say it sux !:eek:

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I like my Ovation. It looks great. It's convenient to be able to play at a slightly higher volume without plugging into an amp. It sounds punchy. I have some definate plans for recording some of my songs on it.

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Great AE basses. It's the only one I would consider getting.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's your bass, and thus your opinion that counts.;)

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    How 'bout the Ovation Magnum fomr the late 70s. Now that's a hell of a bass.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i loved mine. i had a fretless 4 ovation that i gigged with in a world music group for years. wish i still had it.

7. So true, Phil. This bass had such an excellent sound. The only reason I sold it was because it was just too ugly for me. I bought mine brand new in 1979, and I had serial# 00488 - one of the first 500 made! :eek:

It had a thunderous, warm and deep tone from the humbucker at the neck which had individual volume pots for each string that you adjusted with a small screwdriver. The bridge pickup was so clean, it sounded just like a piano. This probably would have been an excellent bass to record with. If only it had had a better shape. :(

Mike

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They say great minds think alike.

Yeah I agree. They had a HUGE sound!

Peace
    Nick

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.... :)