What do you think of the current Fender American Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by High Class Slim, Mar 26, 2003.

1. High Class Slim

High Class Slim

Mar 7, 2003
    you know, the one with the graphite-reinforced neck and string through body bridge? in particular, do you think these two aspects really add value, or are they gimmicks? for example, is the neck really more stable with the graphite? is it more even like an all graphite neck, with no deadspots?

construction-wise, not taking into account electronics and resale value, do you think a Sadowsky vintage or ultra vintage jazz is a better bass?

thanks for your thoughts....
  2. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    This is a question I've been asking myself for quite some time.

Scince I'm a passive jazz lover I like this Jazz bass.

I love the feel of the frets and the neck finish is nice on the hands aswell as easy to work with.

I love to dig into my strings so I love the strings through bridge option.

I also really like some of thefinishes that fender puts out.

Haven't ever played anything like a sadowsky before(let alone the real thing)
    the difference between that and a sadowsky.

From what I hear...

- you are getting better and more precise craftsmanship - affecting the over all look and playability of the bass (because more time has gone into creating and checking to make sure your bass is perfect)

- preamp
    - better quality woods
    - better hardware
    - anybody else is welcome to fill in the gaps

from what I hear from around TB the sadowsky is going to get a better opinion - then again your dealing with a whole other ballpark - look at the price difference.

A fender is a nice bass - not a bad bass - however the final conclusion should come down to the player and what he thinks is a better bass.

SO PLAY EM':bassist:
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Ive got an '01 MIA Jazz. I like it. Still has the classic Fender dead spot on the G string, but it doesnt seem to be as pronounced as the dead spot on my 78 MIA P. Overall a good value for the $, imo. As far as the Sadowsky, Im sure its a nicer Bass, but for the price it should be.
  4. The finish on the MIA is in my opinion, worth the money!
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a 1997 USA Jazz V and I love it. The feel, the finish, the pickups, construction, sound, everything is very good quality.
  6. I would say that a Sadowsky is overall a better bass, IMO.

I owned an MIA Jazz V Deluxe model, and I recently played a couple of Sadowskys, a Vintage 5 and a Standard 5. IMO, the Sadowskys were better all around. Better action, better sound, better fit and finish, and a way better B string.

But, the Sadowsky is thrice the price of an MIA Jazz. Some would argue that you could buy 3 Fenders for the same price. Well, I would rather own one Sadowsky than 10 fenders. I can only play one bass at a time, and the Sadowsky is, IMO, better.

It really depends if the difference is worth the money to you. That's how I would up with my Dingwall.

7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have a natural 2000 jazz and the neck does feel different (no biggie) but the bass is my staple in my stable of basses. When Im not sure what to use it is the one I take and it never let's me down.
  8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I have a '02 MIA Jazz bass and I love it!

Beautiful finish, very good playability, good tone etc.!

Here´s my baby with my rig...

9. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    today i played the 62 re-issue j/bass and it blew my mind,the quality of the bass was without equall,
    belive it or not it was better than my japan p/j bass ! can you belive that nino!(LOL LOL) ut was a beutifull bass, i cannot find one bad thing about it(except its price)it rocked!:bassist:
  10. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    fender definetly has the right idea. especially for the everyday work hard bass that puts out in every situation.

The only issues from what I've heard around is the quality control.

The idea of a MIA has everything I want on it.
    - passive (where have all the passive basses gone)
    - great looking finish colours
    - a great feeling finish on the neck
    - strings through body bridge (I love this for digging into the strings)
    - graphite rods

The only thing now would be to have better components and more time spent on craftsmanship.

eg. better tuners, more time on wood work, better preamp (for the deluxe), and maybe even an option of going with a set of basslines pickups (hey their guitars carry seymor duncan).

and even though I have never played a sadowsky
    I think for the price a fender could win back the bass player population.

It really does seem that when fender has gone with a third party components the guitar has sold really well!