Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of the Epiphone Thunderbird iV?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canary, Jun 2, 2004.

1. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    hi, im just starting the bass and am looking into the Epiphone Thunderbird iv. The most i am willing to spend is £250 so i should be about to afford it.

could you guys just give me your opinion on the Thunderbird?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I played a brand new one the other day and it was a very good bass. Great for a beater or a beginner. Solid tone, but only had that one tone. Great for rock, and surprisingly with new strings, slapping.

Hope that helped

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Hi,

A bass student of a friend of mine has one of these, and I have played it a couple of times and repaired it once (loose output jack).
    My immediate reaction was that the pickups was horribly microphonic. When I touched the pickup case (on either pickup) I got a loud PING through the bass amp. Other than that, it seemed to be a well built axe, the neck was reasonably comfortable to play but it was a bit heavy and chunky.

So if you go to buy one in a store, make sure to check those pickups for microphony. I hope it was a fault only on the one I have tried. My advice would be to get a Yamaha beginners bass - that's what I started on. Good build quality, decent sound and very easy and comfortable to play.

Hope that helped.

4. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    thanks. As i am a beginner, do you think it would be better to pay around 200 quid for a Yamaha or 250-300 quid for an Epiphone. buyin an epiphone would be taking a slight risk because its a lot of money wasted if i dont get into the bass, but i dont know if, if i got a Yamaha i may get quite good at the bass then start noticing flaws in the Yamaha. do you think this would happen?

5. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    cool bass,very bad neck dive,can be corrected by relocation of the strap lock higher up on the body.
    I guess for the money 349.99$US. its a cool bass,they have the "vintage" sound similar to a jazz or p-bass(I SAID SIMILAR,easy fella's)I would buy one for my collection now that I have all the basses I need(not that i want)but it would'nt be my number one or my back-up but it would make number 4 or 5.
    I'm not a pompus bassist,i have the fenders that I always desired,and now that I do i get basses that i think mite be cool.
    My advice>go play a couple and decide for yourself,they're a good brand name so its a question of your pre :bassist: ference.