Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do you think of the Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 3, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am strongly considering buying this pedal.

Questions i have:

- is thing at all noisey? (except at extreme settings)

- its said that this unit warms up your tone. how much so on a scale of 1-10?

- headphone use a possibility?

- is the compression very good or just average?

- what i aim to achieve by getting this pedal is:
    -peaks reduced (compressor)
    - warmth added
    - a deep undertone to my sound

The tone i am trying to achieve is a classic rock tone with some decent bottom-end.

My rig is a clarus 300 with a wizzy 1-12 and my geddy jazz.

any idea where i can get some user reviews of this unit? Harmony central doesnt have any reviews of it.

I think this pedal is the one that will suit my needs, but i would like your opinions before i go out and buy it.

2. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I don't own one, but it's high on my acquisitions list. A friend of mine who plays both electric and upright uses one with a Modulus Q5 and a Hartke 12 inch kickback combo and gets an unreal warm sound from what you might think would be a rather sterile sounding setup. Until I have some hands on time with one that's all I got! Buy one and let me know what YOU think.

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Hey TORIN, me again! :D
    Obviously, I like the unit. You know where I stand. I was skeptical at first, but after trying it day after day, I dig it. Is there better stuff out there? Yes, definitely. Better for the money...I don't think so. Even the "pre" setting on the XLR out was warmer to my ears. But, that's just me...I am always interested to heard other's input.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have an offer from a classified ad to buy one for $125USD.

Is that a fair / good price?

5. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    If it's in EXCELLENT shape. I just ordred a second one as a backup for $169 brand new. I probably wouldn't pay more than $100 for a used one.

6. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    So, I just used my second Platinum Pro EQ at church this morn for the first time. Wow...pretty big improvement over regular DI used (usually Countryman). Even the volunteer sound guy (who is no golden-eared audiophile by ANY strecth) said he thought it made a huge diff. "10 times better", I think is what he said. Think the guitar player may be getting the acoustic model soon.

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    My Platinum Bass EQ is definitely a keeper. I've used it with bass guitar and upright, live and recording. It's not perfect--no mute switch or sweepable mids, and while it's called a preamp the output's not high enough to drive many power amps properly.

It's a very useful box--the low-cut filter is great for fighting upright feedback and cutting speaker-frying sub frequencies when using effects. The Fishman is especially handy when you're faced with less than competent sound techs and need to get the best possible sound to the PA.

8. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    I've wondered about this. I've emailed Fishman and they say (big surprise) that it will be just fine for that application, though I haven't used it this way. Have you had trouble using the box to drive a power amp? I was thinking of going with just that kind of setup for other gigs.

9. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I use it for the upright which i love. I was not crazy about it with the electric. The electric has a pre amp. The Upright does not, it is passive.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i've had one for about 2 months. great pedal. yes, it does drive my stew 1000.. maybe not full power though.

i have a sabdddi and prefer the sabddi tone. much warmer.

actually, I am selling both the sabddi and fishman to get a tech 21 sa para driver.

then i will have a mid knob, mid-shift and warm tone.

11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Ooops...sorry for the late reply. I haven't done measurements but I have run the 1/4" output of the Platinum (with master up all the way, and input gain increased 'til clip light starts flashing) into the power amp/fx return of my Eden WT-400 and EA iAmp 800. With this setup the Fishman doesn't get anywhere near the volume of these amps with their masters on the same setting driven by their internal preamps (hope that makes sense).

The FX returns on these amps are made for line level (+4 dB) signals, which suggests that the 1/4" out on the Fishman is lower than line-level. I don't know if the level from the XLR is any hotter.

I also find it more useful for upright than bass guitar. I have a SABDDI which has better tonal options for BG. It looks like the new SansAmp Bass/Para drivers have line/instrument level switches for both 1/4" and XLR outputs so they should drive a power amp with no problem. Hope this helps.