1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you think of the Geddy sig bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr Top 10, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Mr Top 10

Mr Top 10

Nov 22, 2006
    This might be my next one, but what have you players thought?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Do a search, TONS of info on this bass

3. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    Bought mine about 6 weeks ago. No complaints. A great buy.

4. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    It's all preference but, for me, the neck is too skinny and I hate the sticky glossy finish on it. Those are my only gripes though. Of course, you can always buff it back to a nice satin finish with a scuff pad or whatever. My pick in Fender's mid-range, non-US lines would be the Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz. It's got P/J pups, active/passive switching, a drop D extender and a nice, "Modern C Shaped" satin finished neck. It also comes in 3 tone sunburst with a toroise pickguard - incredibly classy.

Just my two cents.

Peace

5. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Love mine. I love the skinny neck, and I don't care one way or the other about the gloss finish. The sustain I get is something that continues to amaze me. It just seems to ring "forever".

6. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Love the thing. Can't beat it for the price especially. It's not for everyone, for I know a few people who absolutely hate them, but that's what makes the world go around.

~Mark

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1

Also, it's missing a string. :)

The Geddy is probably the first choice for me if I ever were to buy another four stringed bass. It sounds fantastic, plays like butter, and is even better if you upgrade the electronics. People get these because they're great basses first, because Geddy Lee's name is on them second. I could stand to have a thicker neck without the gloss finish, but I'd sacrifice that stuff for the total package.

8. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I had one. Sold it. The thin neck made my hand cramp when playing extended time in the 1-5 fret range. The glossy finish on the neck was not to my liking, and it lacked low end punch compared to the other basses I was playing at the time.

However, the build quality and workmanship was first rate. If you like the gloss finish and the thin neck, and if you can EQ it the way you like, it's a great bass for the money.

9. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    It's the only Fender worth the price, IMO. A spectacular bass. I bought one a few weeks ago on impulse and I have been using it for recording since then. It cuts through the mix incredibly well, has a huge pallette of sounds to chose from.

It does not have a huge low end sound to it, but it definately does not sound weak. It's an agressive insturment and responds well to being hit really hard with a pick or slapping. If you don't mind retarded songs, I have some sound samples. PM me if you'd like them. On one song I used just the neck pickup with the tone on almost off, and its a HUGE low bass sound. On the other I rolled off the neck and put the tone knob at 80% open and the thing cuts like a knife without being weak on the lows.

The build quality is wonderful, I can't find anything less then perfect on it. It comes pre set up as well. The neck IS thin, but it's a "good" thin. Get one of these, you will not be dissapointed. I was never idolized Geddy Lee or anything, but I picked it up in the store because I heard nothing but shining praise about it on TB. The praise is true. This bass looks and feels and sounds great all around.

10. UBU

UBU

Nov 15, 2006
    NYC
    Meh...a solid 6.4

11. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I love my Geddy dearly.The Geddy is a lot of mighty fine
    J-bass for the buck imo and I'd buy another if anything
    happened to mine.

12. slagbass

slagbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    Make sure you try before you buy. I've tried about 5 different GLs over the years and all but 1 (maybe 2?) had some sort of noticeably live or dead spot on the fretboard between the 4th and 7th fret.
    Maybe I'm fussy and maybe this is common to all basses in this price range - just a heads up.
    (BTW - note to Fender - would it be THAT difficult to rout the body where the neck joins to give you access to the truss rod? :confused: )

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I love the neck on mine, but hate black basses. So I'm putting the neck on my white, currently fretless bass, and putting the fretless neck on a sunburst body I bought.

14. geddy lee jazz a must have . love the neck.

15. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I used to own one of these basses before it was the " Geddy Lee" , back in the '80's. I too had the cramping effect on my big fingers playing the first few frets. Just too narrow for me. I also had alot of humm if the pickup controls were not set dead even, along with feedback howling if I turned a certain way. I loved how the bass sounded though, and it was perfectly balanced. I wonder how the Gl compares to the original Jazz that I had? guess I'll just have to go to Guitar center and find out.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    They are incredibly popular basses! Obviously, they're doing something right when they make these basses! I myself quite like them, they play well and sound awesome. I prefer a "good" Marcus Miller bass a bit more though, but thats just me! If you're looking for a good, solid bass and don't care about not having a 24 fret fingerboard then a Geddy is a great buy!

17. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Pretty nice as far a J basses go IMO. I'm not a huge J bass guy, but the fit and finish was nice, and it felt pretty good for a J bass. I prefer bigger necks, but all around it was a nice example of a J.

18. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    I have an MIA Jazz, and recently tried a Geddy at GC. Man they are great, I think they easily are comparable to most MIA Jazzes.