Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of the Lakland Skyline 44-02?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bas_anton, Dec 14, 2004.

1. I´m considering buying one. I have heard many good things about the skyline basses.
    Has anyone been disappointed with their Skyline?
    Any bad experience of them?
    If you sold it, why?
    Something that you like abou them?
    Does it get the Jazz tone?

Thanks

2. Come on! help me with this one. There must be someone who has played a 44-02.

3. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    As you have heard , these are great basses.
    Cons: If heavy weight can be an issue for you make sure that the one you get is on the lighter side.

You can get close to the jazz tone, but take into account that single coils have a lot to do with that tone and this bass doesn't use single coils. if you are a purist, get a Joe Osborn

keep groooovin'
    Fran

4. thanks! Anyone with a bad experience of a skyline?

5. Bennito

Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    I've got a 55-01 and I love it! Not a single bad experience. It quickly became my main bass and I've loved it ever since.

Good luck!

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    +1

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

+2

Skyline 55-01 is terrific for the money. Big sound, long sustain, smooth string-to-string response, structurally stable, smooth electronics, a bit heavy though. Also, the woodgrain on my cherryburst isn't the best. Some mismatched and dubious pieces of wood used (dark mineral patterns, mismatched grain etc.) but are only obvious to me.

Not my main bass (Godin BG-V and Fender MIA Precision also take turns) but it is very versatile.

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just picked up a 55-02, and it is amazing. One of the best basses I've played... and not necessarily limited to the circa 1200 range, either! Highly addictive, tone for days, and very well made and finished.

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1, well i guess +2 actually, since I own two 55-02 Deluxes. They are awesome basses. Incredibly Versatile. These two basses are my main basses that I use on stage and take on the road with me. I want more Laklands too. Incredible value and a phenominal bass at any price. I've played the 55-94 (my teacher owns one) and it is a better bass, but if you were to close your eyes and play both, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. So far my 55-02deluxes are gig tested, and Poon approved.

Back to your questoin. I've played a 44-02 and a 44-94 as well. They are great 4 string basses. Dan Lakin and Crew at Lakland are incredible with customer service. I think one of the best features about lakland is the B string on the 5 strings, so I don't think you're capitalizing on one of their best assets, but...regardless you'll be getting a great and versatile 4 string bass.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have a 44-02. I've owned a 55-94 Limited, 55-02 and 55-01. Good stuff. I'll probably sell the 44-02, I picked it up used just to check it out.

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    ...hint...hint...hint...

LOL! :)

BTW, bas_anton, when you get your 44-02, and oh yes, you will be getting one... from somewhere :) ...let us know what you think . :)

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It might sound like a hint but...

I'll probably sell it locally (in Maryland)... a friend has asked if I'd sell it to him. Actually I'll probably be selling a few basses to a few of my friends, including a modded 75RI Jazz, a Stambaugh fretless 5, my FMT 5, an Elrick NJS 4 and an Xtreme Brubaker 5. All spoken for;)

Not much of a hint after all, eh? More like a tease I guess?

:D

13. I got one. you can´t find them new in Sweden. but i found one used not to long from my place. It´s all little bright. but if I roll of the treble it sounds super. The best neck I have ever played. If someone is thinking of buying a Skyline. DO IT!!! you can´t go wrong with a Lakland.

This bass is a perfect partner for my "slickbass" (a Cirrus 5)

14. Since a Lakland 44-02 is on my GAS list, and you know how easy it is to find one to try out 'round these woods, what would you compare the neck to? J, P, Stingray, something completely different? I need to know before I even consider pulling the trigger.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive played a 55-01 and was not impressed with the B string (i was surprised). Hopefully it was a bad set of strings, or they were dead, because it was a good instrument besides that.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    What were you playing through?

17. I will take this in Swedish, sorry:)

Stränghöjden på min bas är rätt låg och halsen är tunn. Men inte så tunn som vissa ibanezer. Det är lite att ta på. Den spelar nästan av sig själv. Flera av mina kompisar och lärare som har testat har sagt att dom tycker den helt enkelt är skitskön att spela på. De flesta av dem som prövat den spelar normalt på Jazzbasar. så om jag ska sammanfatta det så känns den lite som en jazzbas. Om du tar dig till göteborgs området någon gång kanske vi kan träffas så du får prova:) Det enda som jag har lite svårt för är att den är lite spinkig i tonen när eq:n står rakt. dra av diskant och skjut till lite bas så låter det helrätt för mig.

If you are used to a fender jazz. this bass feels right from the first moment.

18. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    IMO, they are excellent basses. Well worth the money.