Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of the SKB roto rack, or x-rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Mar 6, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    A lot of people dont like them, but why? The only reason i can see is the one with the little door on the back. I could see the twist screws breakings off, its all plastic.

Other than that, why dont a lot of people like them? Would they be fine for 'around town' use?

thanks

2. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i had to return mine because it wasnt deep enough for a poweramp. it also felt cheeeeeap as hell

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i like my 2 space, 10" deep X-Rack. fits my preamps just fine. and very lightweight. also, recently i dropped said X-Rack with said preamps, and they were just fine, despite a 2 ft. fall.

also, i like my 3 space Roto Rack that i use for my DB359, but honestly, it is a bit bulky. i'd rather just put the amp in a 2 spacer, and use a cart, cause the Roto is a bit bulky looking ontop of my cabs.

but other than that, i found mine to be rather tough, and IME, have proved themselves just fine.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I racked an iAMP 800 into a shallow 2-space X Roto rack. It worked just fine for doing gigs around town. Yes, it's no heavy-duty trans-continental road-worthy Anvil Case, but I don't need that kind of durability for moving the head from the house to the car, then to the gig, and then back. Another consideration in my decision is that I'm the only one that handles my gear. As many of you know, the 800 doesn't have any handles, so that's the primary reason that I went with a light weight rack.

If your gear tends to get banged around a lot for whatever reason, or you just want to play it safe, you should probably consider a heavier duty rack than the X Roto model.

5. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    i've seen a lot of those kind of plastic rack...
    yeah you guys are from Hawai and Indiana... but i'm from Quebec, and our winter is very cold... so i have seen a lot of those rack breaking up because they were a bit exposed to cold temperature... ( not extreme temperature i said )
    the plastic become very fragile on low temperature.. like when you put it in the truck, with the drum set.. for example..

but i'm sure that you don't gonna have these kind of problems.. Lucky guy! :p