1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you think of the tone Greg Lake gets from his Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gibenbackerbass, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Love the tone of Greg's Jazz bass. :bassist:

2. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    It's a tone I would have liked years ago but not so much now. I think you can EQ a Jazz to sound a bit like a Ric which this one does here. However, I think a Ric is better for this sound and the Jazz excels in other areas. IMO.

3. Never really liked it, although it certainly works in context I always thought it could have sounded a bit more meaty. It sounds like he's running 2 rigs, one full and bassy, the other set to a really twangy sound, with not much in between. In fact I'm sure he is because when he uses the big muff on 'The Barbarian' he doesn't lose the bottom.

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    It sounds great. Unlike most of today's bass heroes, he's actually audible. Great tone doesn't count for much when it's lost in the mix, and here he has the tone and a mix that allows it to be heard.

5. Gibenbacker, you are on a tear with this YouTube thing this morning. Not complaining, but we ought to have a cool youtube vids thread or sticky IMO. Takes out the effort of me searching for cool bass stuff amidst the idiots falling down stairs and such.

6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    The British bassists of that era, Greg Lake, John Entwistle, and later on, Chris Squire, were responsible, in large part, for moving bass tone towards hi-fidelity. They used round wounds, had amplifiers and cabinets with enough power and frequency response so the sound had some zing and top end definition and sustain, lots of it. Really a departure from the thumpy sounding Pbasses with flats used in early R&R.

James How, owner and designer of Rotosound was instrumental in providing a string that had those sonic characteristics back in 1965. These guys (bassists) recognized early on the benefits of those sonic characteristics for the genres of Rock they were pioneering.

Greg Lake's sound in the video is not stellar by today's standard but if you look at it in a historical context, it was mind blowing.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    This.

8. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    i dig it, too...my band got permission from them to record our version...we call it feed the furnace, though ;) check it in my myspace link below :D

9. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Cool band, cool sound. Greg Lake's jazz sound was both pickups on full played with a pick right?

10. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    I Saw ELP on their first tour of the US in 1971 in Pittsburgh at a theater that held about 2,000, fifth row right in front of Greg. He was using a Jazz bass, with Rotos and two Marshall heads and four Marshall cabs with 15" speakers (I think two to a cab, but that was long time ago). His only effect was a Marshall SupaFuzz. His sound was amazing. I went out and bought Rotos the next day. The sound through computer speakers is misleading -- he had tons of bottom.

I talked to Greg after the show and he was very nice, as was Carl Palmer, who took us onstage and allowed our drummer, who had come to the show with me, to play his kit. My wife was thrilled because Palmer had said to her, "'Ello, babe."

ELP opened for Procul Harum that night. It was the first time most of the country had seen a Moog, and when Emerson jumped into the crowd with his ribbon controller on the second song, pandemonium ensued. After intermission, when Procul came on, many people walked out -- there was just no matching the energy of ELP. I much preferred their early shows to what they did after "Brain Salad Surgery." "Tarkus" had just come out in '71, and they did most of the LP That night. Gary Brooker of Procul was extremely POd by the crowd reaction and told me after the show that it was a mistake for them to allow ELP to open for them.

I still have a cassette tape of that concert -- you were still permitted to take a recorder at that time -- brings back many fond memories. Better yet, my band ran into Palmer and Emerson after a college gig about six months later and Palmer shouted out, "Hey! Pittsburgh!"

11. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Scoop! :oops:

12. Greg Lake has always been one of my heroes. Some of the very first progressive rock I ever got into. I love his tone. You could always hear him in concert and on records. He never blended into the background but became part of the trio. If he'd used a typical bass tone it would have been way too muffled with Emerson's keyboards blasting out the bass. Some of those low bass notes he hit in concert would make your pants feel like they were going to vibrate off. :D

13. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    In context I think the tone's ok. But it's not a tone I'd ever look to emulate unless covering one of their songs.

14. Thank God for them Brits! :hyper:

15. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
  16. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    That's hilarious -- Greg Lake was using for bass what my band used for PA!