1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Do You Think Of The Utilization Of "Mistakes" When It Comes To Soloing?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Funk$tar, May 7, 2015.

1. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    My good friend who I talk to almost everyday (Mononeon) is a great example of this!
    He uses the mistakes he makes and learns to somehow make it fit in the music or solo! Even Victor Wooten has made it clear through some of his lessons about the mistakes we make when playing bass and turning them into...well not mistakes.
    I am very much into experimental music like Cabaret Voltaire and so many others, that I've practiced playing random notes when improvising and this technique really works!
    I'm not the best bassist, but I feel like practicing this makes me better each day, but what do you guys think of this?

Here is sort of an example from him:

Oh and I'm glad to be back on guys, had college to worry about and couldn't make time for my bass, but now I'm back!

Dug2 likes this.
  2. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I seem to recall when Wayne Shorter was playing with Miles Davis he mentioned that he'd make a mistake and Miles would just roll with it and figure out a way to integrate it into the song/performance -- almost like it was a combination of inspiration and a puzzle.

otoh my high school band instructor used to tell us if you make a mistake play it loud, don't back off, play it like you mean it

josiah goldfish, lsabina and zontar like this.
  3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What do you mean by "mistake"?

4. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    What's the old saying? Do it three times and call it jazz?

Imaginary Pony, ONYX, Shimmi and 13 others like this.
  5. Generally, mistakes should of course be avoided. Though I don't think it's ever truly a mistake until the listener knows it was a mistake.

Up the dose and Dug2 like this.
  6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    As long as you don't make the mistake of overtly resorting to gimmicks you should be okay. :D

josiah goldfish and spanndrew like this.
  7. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    A mistake is just an unintended note followed by poor choices.
    Followed by good choices, a mistake transforms into a tension awaiting release.

8. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I would take "mistake" to mean that a different sound emerges from the instrument than the one you had intended to produce.

Sixgunn, jamro217, Funk$tar and 2 others like this.
  9. Dug2

Dug2

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    how r u friends with mono? hes definitely one of my favorite bassists. are you talkin
    about social media? cool thread btw.

Funk$tar likes this.
  10. Great definition. I think that sums it up. Not necessarily the “wrong” note, just not the one you were expecting to hear.

This is why you need to play through and own it. No-one knows what you thought you were going to play, only what you did play. As long as you can recalibrate and get back to hearing and playing what you’re expecting the next note to be, its all good.

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i would call that a flub, lol. a mistake happens when the guitar player is one song ahead of the rest of the band and he doesn't realize it.
    lmao,.. the keys & i kept trying to get his attention, but he thought he was killing it! :roflmao:

Pelao and Rich Emme like this.
  12. I Need a six...

I Need a six...

Feb 4, 2015
    I do this all the time! It really helps especially when you don't dwell on it! Most people(including myself )don't even view it as a mistake, just an un intended note that breeds tension, which you realese with more intended notes.

13. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Play it twice, and resolve it properly the second time. Then it's just an interesting phrase.

14. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    You should always do this--mistake or not...
    But good advice.

15. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

play a wrong note once, and it is a mistake.

But repeat the mistake the next time around makes it sound deliberate.

And that ladies and gents, is the secret to jazz.....

Howlin' Hanson and MattZilla like this.
  16. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Don't they always?

pacojas likes this.
  17. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    Like when I go to fret something on the G string and instead proceed to pull the string off the side, making a god-awful noise. It doesn't happen very often, but that one is tough to play off/roll through.

Poke and tonemachine like this.
  18. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Actually that's the secret to sounding like crap. There is no mystical secret to jazz, just work your butt off to know your rhythms, melodies and harmonies.

tonemachine, Funk$tar, Yaphet and 3 others like this.
  19. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    Every time I solo, I think "this is a mistake".

20. lsabina

lsabina

Sep 3, 2008
    WNY
    Well...I hope you're kidding. Jazz is actually a very rule-oriented music (even free jazz). And many jazz musicians are very unforgiving of a player with a cavalier attitude concerning "free" note choices etc. And lastly, Miles could not stand people like Cecil Taylor, and once, almost got his ass whooped by Monk because he was poking fun at Monk's "mistakes."

7dollarbologna likes this.