Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Circus, Dec 8, 2003.

hmmmmm....

Poll closed Dec 22, 2003.
  1. Eshenbaugh

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nordstrand

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. Lakland

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. Hi, still looking at new basses. JPJ is helping me with a nordstrand or an eshebaugh, which would be awesome. How does a Lakland stack up to these? If I got an eshenbaugh or nordstrand they would be very basic models so that I can afford them. Do you think I should go for the lakland? (probably a 55-02) Or a 4 string eshy j or nj4.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would pick the Nordstrand.

But this really isn't fair. I wouldn't pick a USA Lakland over a Nordstrand, even though they are fine basses. But there is absolutely no way I would pick a Korean Lakland over a Nordstrand.

That's like asking whether you should buy a Hyundai or a Ferrari.

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    hey hey hey leave the hyundais out of this

4. embellisher

Why? They are comparable to Lakland Skylines. Well made, nice quality for the price, made in Korea, but not in the same league as a Ferrari.

5. Yes I aggree it is a mismatch, but I just can't afford a new MIA Lakland. I can get a korean one for a great price though. If I wasn't getting a nordstrand or eshenbaugh, I think Lakland is the only bass I really like.

6. embellisher

You can't afford a USA Lakland, but you can afford a Nordstrand or Eshenbaugh?

7. Like I said, if I were to get one of those, it would be very basic so that I can afford one. I can upgrade stuff like electronics and pups later, as well as some minor cosmetic stuff like wood pup covers.