Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of this ad?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm putting together something to hang on bulletin boards at music stores in the town I just moved to. It'll have the little fringed bottom edge with my number a bunch of times so that somebody can just tear one off and call... give it a read and tell me what you think. (should it say more or less or is it okay?) here it is:

Bass Player Available.

Twenty-nine year old bassist in search of a cover band to play with for fun, recreation, rehearsals, and gigs. I enjoy a wide variety of music, including: Blues, Rock, Country, Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, and Alternative Rock. I play four and five string electric bass. I’m a hard working amateur bassist with a pro attitude. I would prefer to join a working cover band, but if you are putting a new band together feel free to call. No originals please.

2. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    looks good.....

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Just a couple simple suggestions. I've read so many classified ads similar to this and notice they typically mention "Have transportation." That key factor is often mentioned in "Bassist Wanted" ads, so I assume that if you have transportation, that will up your ante with any interested bands. Transportation can be a major headache if there are band members who need to be transported to gigs and rehearsals.

I guess at twenty-nine you probably DO have transport, but that isn't necessarily so. Thus I would mention it in your ad.

I'd also mention your stage rig or sound gear. Say you have pro gear. When I was in bands, back in the day, our biggest problem was potential members showing up to auditions who did NOT have adequate speakers and amps for gigs or even satisfactory rehearsals. A player who needs to rent or borrow equipment for every practice and gig is a genuine liability.

One last idea, if you have had previous experience in other bands or recording experience or pro gigs, briefly mention that too.

Oh, if you would be willing to tour be sure to mention that. Or you could say you are "available week nights and weekends" or similar, so that the band knows.

Actually your ad just as you wrote it is acceptable and more literate than many such ads are written. I just added a few ideas to add more clarity or to make your qualities even more attractive to a potential band.

Good luck in your quest to find a band. I hope you will get answers to your ad right away.

4. Looks good... if you sing you might want to add that.

Just to get your foot in the door, you could say "I love to set up and tear down."

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

That is so funny. I love it. Bands will be beating on Bryson's door if he puts that in his ad...or at least the drummers. :D :D :D

6. atomic_turtle

atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    To go along with the transportation thing you could say that you have access to a 1980's A-team style van.

And its always good to mention that you are heroin free.

:D :bassist:

7. Scrum-didily-umptious. Thats what I think of it. :)

8. It looks great. If you're half as good as your add any band would be proud to have you as their bass player.