1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you think of this bass tone?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassboysam, May 12, 2011.

1. Complete garbage

2.7%
  2. Not great

37.8%
  3. Like it

43.2%
  4. Love it

10.8%
  5. What bass tone?

5.4%
  1. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Just curious to see what people's opinions are, helps me understand where you're coming from when reading some of your posts, opinions, experiences etc.

Do you like it, hate it, too distorted, not distorted enough, too much mids, too scooped? Too bright? all that fun stuff.

Random Jam by the_brow on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

edit: not going to mention gear right away so as not to skew opinions.

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Nice growly hard edged bass tone, but too heavy and growly for that guitar tone IMO. Maybe it's just the mix but I think that kind of bass works best under doubled guitars or thicker heavier types of guitar distortion, like some Audioslave type stuff.

3. In a different scenario I think the bass tone would sound great, but with that guitar sound? I think it gets lost in the mix a bit too much.

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Assuming this is a three piece. I think the bass should be up front with the six string.
    There is plenty of room and it would only be more complimentary.
    More presence is needed.
    Dial in some more mids for added punch. Take some of the lows out.

5. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I really dont hear much bass mostly guitar.

6. bassboysam

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Very interesting, kind of what I expected so far.

This is a little confusing though:

Do you really not hear the bass or are you saying the bass sounds too much like a guitar?

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I think he's saying that you're lacking in presence. You need some upper mids to punch you through. Or at least that's what I'd recommend.

8. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    The bass is pretty low in the mix. I like a real thick clean tone so I might not be a good judge.

9. Weird. I might be the only one who thinks there are plenty of mids. I say add some thunderous lows. :D

Honestly, I think it's good & I'm sure if you ran a dry signal it would sound awesome. Problem with effects is they thin out bass tone & it's to be expected.

10. yeah, the bass could really use more "cutting through".

11. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think I'm in agreement with this. Mids seem very present to me. Missing some low end, IMO.

And hopefully no offense to you, but the guitarist's tone is the bigger problem here to me. He's too loud and pure brittle. There is no warmth to his tone at all to me. Just harsh.

12. Actually, you're right. I think the guitar tone is the problem. I still think the bass could be bigger, maybe the mids are fine but I still think it needs to be bigger in the mix.

13. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I like both the guitar and bass tone. I'm not completely in love with it. But I think it works just fine. I hear the bass clearly, don't know what those who says it getting lost in the mix means.

14. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I want to alter my statement a bit from previous. Maybe I just don't care for the guitarist's tone in that particular recording (maybe because he wasn't playing anything in particular on that track, and seemed to be wanking around high on the neck).

But I did give a preview of the other tunes you have posted there, and I really like his fuzzed tone on the other recordings. It sounds like you guys haves some stoner chops as well, so kudos to you :)

I still think you could benefit from a little more low end punch, but I like it!

15. If you split the two instruments on to seperate tracks and sent them to me I could fiddle with them and come up with something I think sounded better. But, you may not want to do that, and you may not agree with me or care about what I think about it, so, it's up to you. :)

16. For me, theres too much distortion around (guitar + bass) and its hard to understand what is going on. I would keep my sound clean and try to separate bass from guitar Eqing..

17. RSJ4STRING

RSJ4STRING

Aug 24, 2007
    whats supposed to be wrong with it?

18. bassboysam

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks for all the responses everyone, but I think the original question got misunderstood along the way. I am not necessarily looking for help with my tone just wanted to understand the "tastes" on talkbass.

I suppose I could have used a better recording but as the title if the track suggests it was completely random jammage recorded at a rehearsal. I got this tone by complete accident and thought it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

The bass and guitar were recorded with sm57s into a Tascam 4 track cassette recorder, so that could explain the lack of low end that a lot of folks are hearing.

But I guess I'm just looking for general thoughts on the bass tone, not necessarily the overall mix.

19. bassboysam

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks, check out my sig for studio tracks instead if you like.

20. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    it fits the music so i voted "like it"

needs more agressive highs, IMO. sounds pretty overdriven, i'd open up your passive tone knob a bit more to let those highs allow your sound to chop a bit more. more subs would be nice too..