1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you think of this Body Style?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CH Design, Oct 21, 2009.

1. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I've got some spare wood kicking around and I'm thinking about making a few bass bodies out of it. I probably wouldn't go any further than the body though. If/when I wanted to complete it I would probably find someone else to make the neck for me.

Here is the design that I'm considering. It's a 33" Scale 5-string with a three octave neck. It's based off of a BeeBass and a Zon Hyperbass. What do you think?
    Front.
    Back-1.

2. I've definitely got some love for that. Go for it!

3. to be honest, never really dug that style. Guess its love or hate.

4. DSB1

DSB1

Mar 8, 2006
    Since you are asking for feedback I would suggest making the bass side waist thicker and a more graceful curve. It looks unbalanced right now

5. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Do you mean where the cut for the arm rest would go? If so, that's my least favorite part as well. I may have another look at it to see what I can do to make it flow a little better.

6. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Since your asking for input, might I suggest that you make it a lefty and send it to me for a for a complete, multi-year shakedown! I promise to give it great reviews!

7. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    That's probably not going to happen. However, if you wanted to get your own made, I work at a place that has some pretty good CAD software and a CNC router table, so getting templates made is pretty easy. I could probably even figure out how to make them for a lefty :D

8. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Not that is has anything to do with the body style, but I think I'm going to change out the pair of single coils for a Nordstrand MM5.4.

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I love it!

Very Hyperbass-esque.

10. ppk

ppk

May 16, 2007
    looks alot like a wishbass

11. Please excuse me for butchering your design (I did my best) but...

How about something like this:

Bassattempt.

Not quite how I intended for it to come out but close enough :meh:

12. I think that the lower body curve (from the butt to the waist) has too small a radius in relation to the upper body curve. Also I don't think the upper horn should get fatter towards the end. I personally prefer it when they gradually get thinner.

That's just my humble opinion and I'm known for designing some hideous body shapes.

_____________ **Update**

Yea.... just checked out the Bee Bass site. Don't get me wrong, I love the Zon Hyper.... but not Bee's offerings:

[​IMG]

13. I liked it very much. It has a style of its own. What do you think for headstock design because it should support the overall design. If you'd ask me, go for it...

14. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Here is an updated drawing with a few minor changes. I put a almost properly scaled picture of a BeeBass in the background to give a better idea of the size.
    withBee.

15. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Something like this?

I think it's a good idea.

16. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I have to be careful here .... Nothing against Wishbasses, but if what I came up with makes people think of those basses I think I am going to go back to the drawing board. That's not a slam against Wishbasses. In general I like most of Steve's designs. I was even thinking about trying one out before I ordered my Helms. However, I think a little refining would go a long way in making them look better.

17. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yep, I immediately thought of the Wishbass Peanut as well.

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Agreed, Wishbass was the first thing I thought of.

19. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Hope you don't think I was trying to slam on you. I actually kind of like Wishbasses and if I was going to order one, I'd get it unfinished (which is an option).

20. mytmous

mytmous

Mar 10, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Maybe it's because of the lack of knobs, but to me, it looks like the lower bout is a hair too wide. Out of curiosity, what kind of tonal variety can be expected from this type of pickup configuration. Serious question mind you, not being a smarty pants. My guess would be somewhat MusicMan-esque???