What do you think of this clip?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phil Smith, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I have a music clip here that I'd like to get some opinions on. There are no right or wrong answers. The playing here is real simple, doesn't change, but it does transmit to me at least a particular kind of feeling i.e. it grooves pretty hard. What's your opinion, inquiring minds would like to know

Once Or Twice

From the Ronnie Jordan CD "Off The Record"
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nice groove, nice feel... I like the note choices and the lock with the kick.
  3. ARGH !!! RnB :(

But the bassline is nice tho.. personally i'd rather have a real simple, but tight bassline than a sloppy, complex one. :)
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I dig it. nice groove. simple can be great. but even through the simple bass groove you have, you can just tell that you got the skills ;)
  5. A delicious slow steady funk stew! Now this is the kind of stuff I'm into. Well maybe with a little more of a Brazilian flavor, but, that was good. I just bought Nestor Torres' new CD. Yes.

Mike J.

P.S. Nestor Torres is Puerto Rican BTW, not Brasilian. Latin Jazz. :cool:
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What everyone has said, though...

...it's kinda generic, no?
    I mean, I'm pretty sure we have all heard/played something similiar a long time ago.
    (Ducking for cover...)
  7. Move over, I'm jumping in that foxhole with you.
  8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    With that clip I only caught the foundation of the song. Sounded like a tight, simple groove with lots of room in it.

I don't know where it goes from there. I guess you foxhole dwellers do:D

BTW try playing along with it. IMO it has a nice feel, especially slapped;)
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Phil wanted a comment, I gave him one based on the available clip.
    Phil said "No right or wrong answers"...guess mine was wrong. ;)
  10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Nobody said you were wrong. You and X decided to duck and jump in a hole:D. Be proud!

I just listened to the entire song... it's pretty much like the clip all the way through. It's not "Giant Steps"...

and I like it. Like I said, try playing along with it... it's laid back, not as much as D'Angelo but it still has that vibe. You don't have to like it:D
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with you 100%, Phil. It grooves pretty hard. Nice song, nice groove.
  12. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Cool. :)

I wish I was more comfortable with playing less. Sometimes I feel selfconcious when I play few notes.
  13. Don't you go and bail out on me after I took your side, Jim. Fact is, it is a good, solid groove, but like Jim, I have heard it (or very similar) many times before. It doesn't grab my attention. Sorry!
  14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    There is no right or wrong answer, but everyone is going to come to it with a different notion based on their experience, likes, dislikes, playing style, listening habits, etcetera, etcetera.

Question for JimK and XavierG(time to climb out of the fox hole guys ), why do you think this doesn't do anything for you?
  15. I think less is better in alot of situations, but that may be due to the fact that I'm a pathetic bass player:D . I really do like a slow groove like that in some situations.
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Geez, now you want to me 'think' all the way back to last night?!
    From what I recall(& that should tell you something as 'it' didn't really grab me...especially the tune)-
    I didn't hear what I call "urgency" or "an edge".
    Know this: An edge doesn't = some whacked out Free Jazz or Avant Funk thang...IMO, an edge may happen in any style of music/playing. For me, that may mean playing some record from yesteryear & thinking "Wow, this s*** still sounds fresh"!
    Example: This a.m. I'm playing the Oldies' station-
    ...two tunes come to mind:
    1)"If I Were Your Woman"
    2)"Backfield In Motion"
    Two pretty cut & dried R&B/Pop tunes from way back, right? I can, though, hear some 'edge' in whoever the player is on those tracks.
    It's totally SUBJECTIVE, that's me, though.

It's like X-Man has echoed...it's not bad(at all...really. It is solid & nicely/professionally played & with a nice tone; I dunno, 'old hat' comes to mind. I hope that doesn't sound harsh 'cause I'm not trying to be.

Now as far as 'playing less'-
    ...is this track really an example of 'playing less'? IF I recall, the line was full of 1/8th notes(A 'busy' 1/8th note groove?). It's not like the line was a 1/2 time groove or full of 1/2 notes tied, balahblah. In any event, given the tempo, this clip didn't impress me as an example of 'playing less', per se.

Whadda I know, anyway...! ;)
  17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm with X and Jim on this one...it's not that the line is terrible, but it's all covered up with the old "Let's make sure we sync up the bass & Kick drum" esthetic. In short, the playing's fine, but it sounds like any other groove from any other cookie-cutter R&B ballad. When listening to this cut, I keep waiting for Barry White to start his obligatory seduction ritual.
  18. Ditto (the 2 preceding posts).
  19. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I simply didn't dig it. I don't know why, but I didn't. A rather, like Jim said, generic line in an IMO rather horrendous piece of music (one of the few kinds of music which makes me climb the walls within 10 minutes of listening). I try to be open for everything, but I just can't take RnB.