What do you think of this effects set up???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Aug 22, 2004.

1. hey guys...I'm wanting to get a pedal rig...I want something that I can use that will be fun for both my bass,keys,and guitars...here's what I have mapped out so far, what do you think of this...

Huge Pedal Board (from rondo music)
    (2) Boss NS-2 noise suppressors
    Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Loooper "Lehle 3@1" copy
    Boss BF-2B Flanger
    Boss CEB-3 Chorus
    Digitech Synthwah
    Digitech Bass Driver
    EX Deluxe Octave Multiplexer
    Ernie Ball Volume
    EHX mini Q tron
    Carl Martin Compressor/Sustainer
    (2) boss Daisey Chains
    (2) boss power adapters
    (2) George L pro pedal cable connector kits

I also have a Sansamp BDDI coming with my Ergo Upright so that'd be in there too...

Do you think that would be a good pedal set up?
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Do you already own all these pedals ?
    If not, considering how extensive you want your setup to be, you'd be better off with a good multieffect. Cleaner and cheaper.

As for chaining, each pedal has its own properties that may or may not fit your playing. This is the kind of item that needs to be tested, each on its own, with the rest of your setup. Buying a big bunch of pedals on the fly like this would be a mistake.
  3. I prefer stompboxes over multi processors, but I use minimal effects (chorus, flanger, wah) and a multiprocessor is just way overkill for me...in your case however..it sounds like youre setting yourself up to be doing the "Dance of a Hundred Pedals" and im my opinion youll be better off with a multi effects processor, not to mention it would be much more economical, if in fact you havent bought all those pedals yet.
  4. nope ,
    I haven't bought em yet...just saving up right now...I would be fine with getting a GT-6b and then a couple of other pedals to go with it or something if I could hook up an extra midi controller so I don't have to cycle through tons of banks to switch sounds...I play in a Jam band so we do a lot of Improv so I never know what pedal I'll want when...i just wanna be able to have a huge array of sounds at my feet...thank you guys so much for help...I am pretty much an effects newbie when it comes to bass...I've always had pedals for my G***ars but never really anything more than a chorus and distortion with a cheap effects processor...I'm wanting this to be an investment that will last for years...
  5. could I do that???

Get a GT6-b and run like a Behringer FCB1010 midi controller into the midi in/out and assign effects to the pedals on the GT-6b then send more over to the Behringer so I'd have around 15 effects at a time at my feet? if so, that'd be great!

I'd still pick up a few stomp boxes but that would really make it fun and give me a really wide tonal range...
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you want to burn that much money, what about a good rack unit with an extensive floor controller ?
  7. i'm not really wanting any rack stuff...i'm either wanting to go the straight up stompbox set up, or go with the GT6b w/ FCB1010 midi controller (no one's told me yet if that would work though) w/ a couple stomp boxes...
  8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, uhm, no.

All the Boss and Digitech and EHX effects in there would give you the sum total bypass tone of cardboard thru cheez whiz. Even with a Loooper in there, if you were using one as a 3@1 clone.

Check it out: instead of 12 separate tone-sucking units, spend $700 brand new (or $450 total used approx!) and get a line 6 FM4, MM4 and DM4. Each is true bypass and has 16 different effects to choose from, and 4 slots on each to act as separate stomps. Sure, you wouldn't be able to use Chorus AND Flanger at the same time on the MM4, for example, but between the filter, modulation and distortion "sections" you would have, you could pile up one from each and create countless "cool sounds".

True Bypass may not be that important for one or two pedals, but with a chain that big it'd be really missing.

Some people will say put all non true bypass pedals in a true-bypass loop, but I say no to that as well, because even then, you're playing an effected AND tone-drained signal. Effects sound best layered on your fullest, clearest sound possible.

Don't lock yourself into mindsets. you'll miss out on some cool stuff.
  9. thanks for the tip...I will go that route w/ some expression pedals and just add on the loooper, and I have a sansamp BDDI...and I can get a tuner later on and run it in to the tuner output on my amp

thanks a lot for the idea bud!