1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you think of this? Ibanez BTB785PBAM deal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tamazula, Oct 9, 2009.

1. tamazula

tamazula

Oct 9, 2009
    Hi all... first post here, looks like a great place and I'll be sticking around, at least to lurk. :)

I was bringing my Fender Jazz into the shop yesterday and stopped by their used/consignment section. There was a bass that immediately drew my attention, at least aesthetically. It was an Ibanez BTB785PBAM that they got from the factory- I believe it's on consignment because of a small mark on the backside near the plate. I haven't had a chance to play it yet and check for weird buzzes, bad electronics, etc. Assuming that's the only thing wrong with it, do you think it is a good/decent deal for $625? I've been wanting to break into the 5-string territory for a while now and was going to just splurge on a Bongo down the road sometime, but this looks like a good deal and it really is a stunning instrument.

Any experience with these? Recommendations? Advice? Thanks and see you around. :)

2. I've not got too much experience with Ibanez, but my fellow school-band-mate only plays an ibanez 4 string, and I must say, it's pretty nice. same body shape as the one you mentioned, but not the same bass.. as I said, I don't know Ibanez.
    I think he payed about 700 for it...

3. sutarappa

sutarappa

Feb 26, 2007
    TX
    i've long held trust in the general quality of ibanez basses. i have two BTB basses and find they can get me about anywhere i'd like to be tonally. i think it's going to sound a lot different than a fender jazz due to the BTB's distinctive mids, but still be great. i can get more of a p bass tone dialing in the neck pickup on my BTB400QM. ymmv.

these newer neckthru models with the bartolini electronics just shine. and the crafting and construction will not be surpassed by anything close to this price range. the BTB is a big, burly bass with a large body, neck, and wide string spacing. should those parameters suit you, i'd say give it a try.

look like this?:
    http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/st...n_-1_10052_10002_-49957390_cmCategorySA555501

4. tamazula

tamazula

Oct 9, 2009
    Yep. Looks exactly like that, except somehow more beautiful. :)

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    That's a screamin' deal. I love my BTB, it's a lower model number, I paid more than the price you're quoting, and I'd gladly do it a gain for such a great workhorse.

Easily one of the best deals out there in basses today, and that's a better deal than most.