1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you think of this look on my new P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deepwoods, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I bought this part P from a fellow talkbass brother and am a happy 'basser. It came with a nice mint guard but I wanted a different look and had an abalone guard in my parts bin. I think it looks pretty unique and classy. What are your thoughts? Yes, I know I need strings and knobs, gonna string her with some flats and maybe black knobs.

2. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    OK, but I think I'd go with a white or even a black PG.

3. Honestly I think it clashes a bit. With abalone it looks better if you have one of the colors in the guard in the bass itself. But the main thing that matters is that you like it.

4. Bochafish

Bochafish

Jul 26, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    That is the saxiest color red on that bass, I too would go for a black matte pick guard. But I am a sucker for black pick guards, if you are digging that one, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Kinda different. I'm sure it would grow on me. The guard would look pretty sweet on a black bass though. +1 to what eaglemoon said. If you like it, rock it.

6. It's alright. But I'd go with a solid colour.

7. Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    The body color is candy cola. I already have a Candy Apple Red P with a black guard. I thought about brown tort. Maybe I should just stick with the the mint. I kinda think it look pretty unique with the abalone. I guess that's why I'm asking for opinions...

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Damn, I think it looks lovely that way.:bassist:

9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Why don't you post a pic with the mint sitting on it? I think I'd like that better. I agree with Eagle Moon that the abalone clashes.

Another thing you might consider, especially since it's maple, is a white pearloid. But that mint might look really good. I'd like to see it!

10. No, I don't like that look at all.

I would go with either a black pickguard or a white pearloid pickguard.

11. Holy god, that is the sexiest P ever. Really, I don't know what's not to love.

12. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Works for me.

13. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    killer bass i almost bought that

14. Looks Fantastic!

H

15. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I'd go tort (can't member if it's red or brown), it looks really classy... a jazz on here has it. Plus I doesn't think that color goes well with maple. Which is bad cause I always want maple on everything. Nachos included

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I think it looks good.

Its a shame though, that nice red paint job has to get covered at all with any color pick guard.

17. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Midnight Wine

18. Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    It's an american standard which they did not (that I know) produce in midnight wine. It looks similar but more brownish tint.

19. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    They didnt you were right about it being candy cola, i just put a mighty mite neck on my bass i like it alot , not use to 20 frets.

20. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    You're right, Midnight Wine is a MIM only colour.

Could be Candy Cola, which is a darker red than Candy Apple.